What's new

HD DVD Player Sound Quality (1 Viewer)

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Hello,

I currently own a fantastic Denon DVD-2900 and have always enjoyed the superb sound qualities of this player.

While I'm thinking about switching to the HD DVD player format, how much will I be sacrificing in the new player's ability to reproduce sound at a high level like my 2900?

All I ever read about is how great the PQ is and the DD/DTS tracks are supposed to be reproduced at a higher rate or something. However, I also use my DVD player for music and do not want to sacrifice SQ for PQ.

Thanks,

Perry

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
I've read a thread on another forum about how well the HD-A1 is built for audio, something to do with the stability of the transport required for the blue laser, as well as the quality of the DACs and DSPs.

I'm certainly no technical expert on this matter, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night! Ha Ha.

Seriously, though, I did play Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" last night on the HD-A1 through coaxial digital connection, and it was pretty darn good. I had listened to it the other day on my JVC player(with the same coaxial cable), and dang if it didn't seem to sound even better with the HD-A1. I don't understand how that can be, what with it all being 1s and 0s, but nevertheless...

Dave>h

Second Unit
I am curious about this too.

My thinking is, if HD DVD loses the format war and is relegated to Betamax/Laserdisc/Divx status, I will still have an excellent CD player.

Can't see why a cd played via coax would sound any different either as the amplifier would be doing the D/A conversion not the HD A1. At least that is how I understand the process to work. Maybe the HD A1 transfers cd data at a higher bit rate? That might explain the difference you are hearing although I thought all cd material went at 16/48 or whatever the PCM standard is.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks