What's new

Hd And X1 (1 Viewer)

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if anybody was using their X1 with a hd signal. I have mine hooked up to dishn@#work and it shows horrible. I was just wondering what a hd signal would look like. Because the sat signal is not sharp. THX

GuyMaren

Agent
I'm using a digital cable box. The non-digital channels vary from awful to merely OK depending on varying reception. Digital SD channels are consistently OK. HDTV channels like InHD and HDNet are stunning.

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen InHD is that only on cable and not sat? I'm thinking of getting the Voom sat service the only bad thing that they don't have espn and fox sports:angry: . but digital box i have from dish is horrible. Is the there difference guy on how far you have your X1 back. THX

GuyMaren

Agent
I'm not sure I understand your question. But if you are refering to the distance between screen and projector, then, yes, the projected image is larger the further from each other. And the bigger the image, the more pronounced any flaws will be.

I've not used a satellite box with my projector, but others have posted that the major satellite companies are short on bandwidth and are compressing their signals to accommodate more channels. Cable providers are not, as yet, compressing digital channels to the same extent. Thus the SD digital on cable is reportedly better that on satellite (excepting, maybe, Voom).

On the down side for cable, not all channels are digital. The picture quality suffers accordingly.

I guess the whole point of my earlier post is to say that, if you are experiencing poor picture quality, it's not the projector's fault. Given a high quality signal such as InHD, HDNet, HBOHD, DiscoverHD Theater etc., the X1 will provide a stunning image. Give it a poor signal, you get a poor picture, albeit large.

arman-m

Auditioning
man
i am about to get dishnetwor HD for my X1
anybody has having problems??????????????????

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I have DirectTV and the HD picture is stuning. I had Time Warner and the HD was great on that as well. You really can't compare the standard cable or digital picture to HD. There is a huge difference.

MarkusBohu

Auditioning
I'm using my X1 with Dish Network HD (and off-air HD) via the Component Cable with the VESA adapter (and optical digital sound to my 5.1 channel receiver) and I think the picture is great.
It is definitely sharper than DVD (and of course MUCH sharper than the regular Dish Network TV Channels)

HBO, DiscoveryHD, HDNET, ESPN HD Are usually really good but don't seem to always transmit real widescreen HD (ESPN often just stretches their standard 4x3 screen--Ugghh!!!!)

Channel 9 (PBS) of the off-air HDTV has some really high quality programs too!

I found that the picture is slightly better when I set the HDTV Receiver (I believe it's the Dish 811) to 1080i resolution rather than 720p.

Sheldon, how is your picture bad? Which channels are you watching? What connection are you using between the HD receiver and the X1?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
HD Television will look great.. any other television less than DVD will probably look crappy... Of course this is a generalization, but usually most basic cable/satellite signals wont look as good as DVD...

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
Mark right now they(dishnet) are working on it. I had it on sd def. i'm in the prosess of getting the hd box because of the problems i'm having with SD def. With SD signal it was really digitized. I'm glad to hear that HD is great. I can't wait now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks