What's new

HD-A1 HDMI issue (1 Viewer)

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
I started a thread on this elsewhere, but I think it's better placed here.

I'm running my HD-A1 to a 3-yr-old Mitsubishi CRT RPTV via HDMI-to-DVI cable. When I use this connection the left side of the image is cut off (E.g., when I go to the setup menu for audio, the first two letters of the menu items are cut off). At first I thought the image was off due possibly to excessive overscan, but the right side of the image appears normal. Today, I tried using component out to the RPTV, and sure enough, the image was perfect. I'm thinking now that the picture was not off-center, but rather stretched. Is this likely a problem with the HD-A1, the cable, the input, or the connection, and what are the chances that if I get a new TV (which I want anyway) and use HDMI-to-HDMI the problem will reoccur? I don't mind using component, but of course I lose upscaling of SD DVD. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'm running firmware version 2.0.

Second edit: I forgot that when I hooked up my upconverting JVC DVD player HDMI-to-DVI, the image was also off, so I can eliminate the HD-A1 as the problem. Any thoughts on which other part is the culprit and whether I can expect a new TV with HDMI input to act normal?

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I'm having the same problem using HDMI-DVI with my Hitachi 57XWX20B (CRT rear projector). For me at least, it definitely seems to be a centering issue, not a stretching issue. I went into my service menu and fixed it, but now my HD cable box (via component) is too far to the right. I think I am just going to have to find a place in between.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Dennis,

I looked into my issue a little more. It does not appear to be my player, but rather my TV or the HDMI/DVI connection. I hooked that same HDMI cable up to my cable box, and the picture was perfect. My problem is that my TV remembers the horizontal position based on resolution, not input.

I think that you should be able to fix your problem by getting into the service menu and moving the horizontal position. I found a service manual on the internet for my TV, and you could probably do the same.

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
I appreciate your help with this issue, but I decided to solve it the old-fashioned way: I'm picking up my new TV tomorrow. It is weird that you had a perfect picture with your cable box, while my problem remained when I switched to my other DVD player. Hopefully it's either my input or my cable, neither of which I'll be using as of tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
So you went with a new TV? I'm assuming you can just plug in directly via HDMI? By all accounts, that should do the trick, as everyone with HDMI inputs seems to be problem-free.

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
Yeah, it was time anyway; I was never totally happy with the Mits to be honest. This one is straight HDMI, of course, and I figured the problem was my cable, the input, the HDMI-to-DVI conversion, or a combination of all three. We'll see. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks