HD-A1 HDMI issue

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
I started a thread on this elsewhere, but I think it's better placed here.

I'm running my HD-A1 to a 3-yr-old Mitsubishi CRT RPTV via HDMI-to-DVI cable. When I use this connection the left side of the image is cut off (E.g., when I go to the setup menu for audio, the first two letters of the menu items are cut off). At first I thought the image was off due possibly to excessive overscan, but the right side of the image appears normal. Today, I tried using component out to the RPTV, and sure enough, the image was perfect. I'm thinking now that the picture was not off-center, but rather stretched. Is this likely a problem with the HD-A1, the cable, the input, or the connection, and what are the chances that if I get a new TV (which I want anyway) and use HDMI-to-HDMI the problem will reoccur? I don't mind using component, but of course I lose upscaling of SD DVD. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'm running firmware version 2.0.

Second edit: I forgot that when I hooked up my upconverting JVC DVD player HDMI-to-DVI, the image was also off, so I can eliminate the HD-A1 as the problem. Any thoughts on which other part is the culprit and whether I can expect a new TV with HDMI input to act normal?

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I'm having the same problem using HDMI-DVI with my Hitachi 57XWX20B (CRT rear projector). For me at least, it definitely seems to be a centering issue, not a stretching issue. I went into my service menu and fixed it, but now my HD cable box (via component) is too far to the right. I think I am just going to have to find a place in between.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Dennis,

I looked into my issue a little more. It does not appear to be my player, but rather my TV or the HDMI/DVI connection. I hooked that same HDMI cable up to my cable box, and the picture was perfect. My problem is that my TV remembers the horizontal position based on resolution, not input.

I think that you should be able to fix your problem by getting into the service menu and moving the horizontal position. I found a service manual on the internet for my TV, and you could probably do the same.

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
I appreciate your help with this issue, but I decided to solve it the old-fashioned way: I'm picking up my new TV tomorrow. It is weird that you had a perfect picture with your cable box, while my problem remained when I switched to my other DVD player. Hopefully it's either my input or my cable, neither of which I'll be using as of tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
So you went with a new TV? I'm assuming you can just plug in directly via HDMI? By all accounts, that should do the trick, as everyone with HDMI inputs seems to be problem-free.

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
Yeah, it was time anyway; I was never totally happy with the Mits to be honest. This one is straight HDMI, of course, and I figured the problem was my cable, the input, the HDMI-to-DVI conversion, or a combination of all three. We'll see. Thanks again.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beekeeper