What's new

Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD Player Issue (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
While most of my HD titles are on Bluray which is played back on a very nice Denon DBP-1611 UD player. I still have a number of HD-DVD titles I still watch. I could swear that when I first got the player that the HDMI worked on it, but after I got my 1st generation Bluray player I used the component video for the HD-DVD. Well now I have a Pioneer Elite SC-05 7.1 receiver so I figured I would see how the player acted hooked up to the SC05. I worked with it for awhile and couldn't get the player to output video via HDMI!
What is most likely:
HDMI will not work with component video hooked up?
A wrong setting in the menu somewhere?
Or the HDMI output died?
If I had the money I would just replace the HD-DVD movies and dump the HD-DVD player! But I am not sure what I would be able to do with all the HD-DVD movies if I changed them for the Bluray versions. :confused:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
0b28e9cf_IMG_0026.jpeg

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
You know, I have the same HD-DVD player and I switched from Component to HDMI when I got my new TV...but I have not tried a HD-DVD on it yet. I'll try this weekend.
It shouldn't be a menu setting since the player only outputs 1080i, so there is nothing to change when going from component to HDMI.
You can always test to see if component and HDMI don't function together by unplugging component and plugging in HDMI only.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I have the RCA version of this player, which internally is exactly the same. This thing is VERY confusing to set up- if you get no picture from HDMI, the easiest thing to do is hook the standard video output up just so you can see what it's doing and then check the menu settings. There's also a Resolution button on the remote which further messes things up. Try pushing that until you get any viewable signal out of it.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am going to unplug the component video and see if the HDMI works. If not I have looked into the menu and can not find anything. If it doesn't no big deal! The only thing I am not crazy about on alot of my HD-DVD titles is the Dolby Digital Plus track instead of Dolby True HD or uncompress PCM or DTS HD MA.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
e171aaee_IMG_2247.jpeg

Finally got off my rear and started poking around the HD-A1 to get the HDMI to work. Finally video and sound via HDMI ! There is something messed about this player though. When the audio is set to bitstream the multi channel icons do not light up while the movie is playing. So it is not telling me if the movie is 5.1 or 6.1 and the display's small pcm lights up. The receivers display will not tell me Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby True HD! If I change the audio to PCM then the display on the receiver says PCM 96K and the 5.1 symbols light up. If I got back to component video with the toslink digital then the audio is transcoded to DTS and the 5.1 logo lights up. I am going to seriouly think about buying another used HD-DVD player to replace this one and till then I will just use the component video and digital cable unless I get another cable and set it to PCM out! This player is a pain in my rear!
a857d74c_IMG_1969.jpeg

3c4fd013_IMG_1978.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks