What's new

Having Multi computers hooked up to DSL(Networking question) (1 Viewer)

Alan Erceg

Stunt Coordinator
hey guys,

My g/f wants to get DSL for her house. That is all fine...but she wants to have it hooked up to both her downstairs computer and her laptop. I know this is possible but some providers dont allow it.

Her provider does....but im not sure to go about doing this. Networking is not my strongpoint in computers like programming and hardware so i figured i would come here for help.

Here are the questions i have...

1) How would i go about doing this? would using a router work for splitting the line? This is what i was thinking of doing.

2) Her laptop doesnt have a pci slot for a network card...but i read in her manual that it can take PC cards? is there a pc card that acts as a network card? I'm clueless on this.... it is a compaq laptop,

That's really my main questions.....i have an idea how to do it...but since it is not my setup im not going to experiment with hers like i would with mine if you know what i mean. I also dont want her spending more money than she has to for this.

Any help at all would be appreciated...

Thanks guys/gals
Alan

well, i'll let someone else go into #2.

it is "easy" to split your DSL service using a router. the "in" jack of your router goes to the DSL modem. the "out" jacks go to your respective computers.

once you're physically connected, release and renew your IP address on each PC and you should be on your way to having a successful network.

Alan Erceg

Stunt Coordinator
thanks guys.....that helps alot...

is there any routers and /or pc cards either of you can recommend??? anyones to avoid??

andrew-- when you say out jacks..do you mean to seperate telephone lines going into the seperate computers??

thanks
alan

you won't be using "telephone wire" you'll be using ethernet cable.

there will be:
a line into the modem (telephone line)
a line out of the modem and into the router (ethernet)
and various lines between the router and the respective PC's (ethernet)

Alan Erceg

Stunt Coordinator
andrew,

sorry i wasnt thinking. I have a DSL hookup here at home but only on one computer. So basically i will need 2 other ethernet cables to run out from the router into each specific computer making 3 altogether...the one from the modem to the router and then from the out of the router to the 2 pc's? am i thinking correctly??

Thanks again
alan

Alan,

Yeah, 3 cables total.

Probably will go like this:
One shorty between the DSL modem and the router.
One shorty between the router and PC #1
One long cable between the router and PC #2

*Just depends on how you decide to lay things out

Alan Erceg

Stunt Coordinator
andrew,

thanks....will talk it over with the gf tonight....

the one to the downstairs computer is going to be the long one since it is down in the basement..

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
I use a SMC 4 port router and I haven't had any problems with it. Also, I have a D-Link USB NIC. It's a bit picky now and then (have to unplug it, then plug it back in so that it will work). But it gets the job done pretty well IMO.

Hope that helps.
Peter

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
If the downstairs computer is the laptop, then you could go for wireless LAN, saving you to have to put a long network cable in place. All the usual suspects (Linksys, DLink, Cisco :) etc) make routers with that ability.
And setting everything up is easier than it might look like initially (be it wireless or cables only).
-Christian

Danny R

Supporting Actor
BTW, most of the discussion above assumes that your DSL modem is external to your computer, and your computer attaches to it using an ethernet card.
However if this is not the case, and your DSL modem is actually a PCI card inside your desktop, or perhaps hooks to your computer only via a USB cable, then you will have to do something different and setup that computer to share its internet connection. Let us know if this is the case or not.

Alan Erceg

Stunt Coordinator
christian-- can you give me any more info on wireless networking??

andrew-- thanks for the site i will check it out...

danny-- im assuming the modem will be external. i thought that was the standard now a days. Im basically doing all this research for her cause she doesnt know a thing about computers and i just want to make sure what i get her will be not cheap but cost effective for what she needs....if this were my setup i would do a lot more tinkering with stuff....but with hers i just want it to be simple and make sure it works. I will double check to make sure the modem is external....but im 99% positive it is. I know i have to install a NIC card in her computer downstairs and install a PC card in the laptop for it to have network capabilities...just tryin to do some research on the subject before i have her spend any of her money.

Keep the replies and info coming guys..

Thanks Again
Alan

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
Regarding a wireless setup,
You would set up a router with a built-in wireless access point (like Link Removed), then pick up a wireless PCI card and/or Link Removed. There's a higher cost associated with this option, but it would allow your gf to wander around the house with her laptop and still have internet connectivity.
If you decide to go the wired route, I'd recommend going to Home Depot and buying a crimper and some CAT5 wire to make the long Ethernet cable you'll need for the basement. The crimper runs about $25-30, but CAT5 is only $0.13 / foot. Better yet, see if you can borrow a crimper from one of the IT guys at work (that's what I did). Wired is definitely the more cost-effective way to go. Good luck!

I was going to suggest going the DIY route for the ethernet cable too.
And don't be mislead, the wireless option is going to be about twice as expensive... but a very attractive option never the less.
Wired
Router - $70
Cable - $5 (assuming DIY and loaned tool)
PC Card (or USB adaptor) - $40
Wireless
Router - $150
Wireless notebook card - $60
Wireless desktop card - $40
These are just estimate prices (pulled from Best Buy )
I'd go wired... but that's due to $$$ - if I had the dough, I'd probably go wireless.

Eric Gan

Agent
Hey Alan,

Just to throw in another option (not that it's not confusing enough already)....you can try HomePhoneline networking. I only mention that because I recently installed it at my house and was quite pleased at the results. It also cost me a lot less than a wireless setup (about $30 for a pair of 10Mbps HPNA cards).

If she's willing to leave the desktop computer on all the time, a router/DHCP server isn't needed. Just use Internet Connection Sharing and you're set. Her ISP won't even know that she has more than one computer hooked up to the net.

That said, if I had a laptop, I'd go wireless because being able to roam around the house is pretty cool.

Good luck,

Eric

Alan Erceg

Stunt Coordinator
chad-- thanks for the info. that might be the way to go if she has some extra $$

andrew-- thanks for your info too...

eric-- that seems like an interesting option as well.

will talk it over with her again tonight..give her the difference in prices and see what she wants to do. I dont know if she goes roaming around the house with the laptop or not..ive never seen her..although she never could before being hooked up in her room. The final decision rests with her i just offered to do the install and all off that stuff.

thanks again guys..
keep the info coming if you have anymore.

Thanks
Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks