What's new

Have any of you heard the Energy Take 5.2? (1 Viewer)

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
I'm considering either the Take 5.2, Klipsch Quintet, or the Atlantic T-70. Since it's the newest, I can't seem to find many opinions on the 5.2. If anyone has given it an audition, I'm curious to hear your impressions. I'll most likely be using the Onkyo 595 receiver.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, the 5.2 might be too new. And Energy alienated a few dealers and customers (I'm one of them) by cracking down on dealers who gave discounts on their stuff.
I listened to the original Take 5 and loved it. I thought that for the price and size, Energy was able to squeeze the most performance out of that thing. Of course there's the rule that sequels are never as good as the original but maybe Energy has pulled off the Godfather II/Empire Strikes Back with the 5.2 system.
Good luck. There are a lot of options out there now. The Take 5 was revolutionary in a way, but now there's tons of miniature-sized 5.1 speaker systems. Happy shopping!
------------------
I know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve - Bilbo Baggins

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, that's pretty much my predicament. There's a ton of good sub/sat systems around and more options under $1000 than there were even a year or two ago. Decisions, decisions.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The best advice I can give you is to hunt around for a good dealer. Mine (Yawa Audio in Walnut, CA) gives wonderful customer service and sets up equipment for me to audition without ever making me feel like I have to buy from them...even when I first got in touch with them! Plus, they give very, very good prices. :)
The rule I like to follow with speakers (and most equipment, but especially speakers): audition, audition, audition!
You don't know what kind of sound you like until you compare and contrast different models. What sounds "warm and mellow" to someone may be too "soft and muddy" for you. What someone says is "clean and bright" may come across as "harsh and tinny" to you.
People love B&W here, but when I auditioned them I found the high-end too...high for my tastes.
Good luck.
------------------
I know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve - Bilbo Baggins

Jon Chang

Auditioning
I saw the 5.2s at Good Guys in Sunnyvale, CA. I'm sure they'd have it at all Good Guys. From what the salesman told me, the basic diffrence is that they used stronger materials for the tweeters so it can take more of a punishment.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i checked audioreview.com but didn't see the 5.2 listed. they did have many reviews on the 5 though...maybe you'll find this (somewhat) useful.
http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/S...uct_7270.shtml
everything i hear on the 5.2 say they're pretty good and a definite improvment on the 5's.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
I did read one published review from Sound and Vision, which pretty much said that it is an improvement, has a good sound on music but "won't break any leases" on movie playback. Seeing as how I live in an apartment complex, I think the only route I can go is a sub/sat system. I don't really have the space for much else. Unfortunately, there aren't any Energy dealers within 2 hours of where I live.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks