What's new

Energy Take 5.2 Impressions (1 Viewer)

RussellC

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my set of Energy Take 5.2 speakers, Energy S8.2 sub, and Energy stands in today. Just finished hooking everything up and my first impression is that these little speakers are AWESOME. I had heard them before but I like them even more now. First of all they look great. Way smaller than I thought they would be. They have a glossy black finish and look stylish on the Energy stands.

As far as sound goes. I am simply amazed at what kind of sound these little speakers put out. They simply blow away any sub-sat speakers I have heard for movies.(I haven't listened to music yet) Sub is matched very well with the speakers, and you can't tell where the speakers stop and the sub picks up unlike most small setups. Just nice clean, well defined bass, not boomy. I have only watched the opening to Toy Story 2 and the Pod Race scene in SW EP1 and I have been impressed.

If you are thinking about getting these speakers, and you don't have alot of space or live in an apartment, don't hesitate to check these out. You won't be disapointed.

-Russell

RussellC

Stunt Coordinator
I have been playing with these a little bit more and I put all the speaker sizes to Small on my reciever and my crossover freq to about 85-90. Does this sound similar to any of you that have these speakers setup?

Thanks

-Russell

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
. . . my crossover freq to about 85-90.
FYI: Sound & Vision documented the usable low frequency of the Take 5.2 to be about 110 Hz, . . .
Energy Take 5.2 Home Theater Speaker System
Take 2.2 front left/right... 110 Hz to 16.3 kHz ±4.5 dB
Take 1.2 center............. 110 Hz to 17.4 kHz ±4.5 dB
Take 2.2 surround........... 110 Hz to 13.2 kHz ±3.2 dB
S8.2 subwoofer............... 32 Hz to 100 Hz ±2.6 dB
. . . so, to fill-in the mid/bass hole, I'd choose a higher crossover on your AV Receiver and set your S8.2 subwoofer to its maximum bandwidth.
Phil

RussellC

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the speakers were 80Hz-20Khz and the sub 27Hz to 100Hz...so you think i sould just crank up the sub xover to the highest setting? In that same review he said he put his receiver on small speaker setting and put the xover at 95Hz.

-Russell

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
You want to set your mains and center to small and select sub on and connect the S8.2 sub via xover rca connection. Another option is the high level connection and control the mains off the sub crossover and set the LPF control to around 80 to get a seamless full body sound from the set. Make sure your speaker setting are set to large with no sub for the high level connection.

Sean

RussellC

Stunt Coordinator
I understand all the hookups, I am just trying to find out what sounds best. I just tried something again and hooked up the sub so the reciever controls xover instead of the subs knobs. Is this is the best way to do it? My reciever, however, will only let me go down to 100Hz for the xover. Is this ok? I can't control the volume of the sub on the subs knobs when I hook it up this way. Is this the best way? or should I hook it up where I can adjust the sub volume and xover on the sub.

thanks,

Russell

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
Logically the best way is to do the high level connection and use the sub xover since its adjustable and set the LPF where the Energies mains drop off, somewhere around 80 to 90 to blend the mains with the sub. Currently I am running the mains and center on small and letting the recievers xover control the sub. For now anyways. I am planning to experiment witht the high level connection next week.

Sean

RussellC

Stunt Coordinator
Cool, I think I found a happy medium for now. I am getting ready to move so this isn't my final setup location. I will do more tweaking when I move. I just set up through the reciever to the input on the sub...not the xover. I set the speakers to small and the sub to on. But I am controlling the volume and xover through the sub. I set it at about 90 and it sounds great. Thanks fr the help.

-Russell

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
You just need to play around and experiment untill you get it the way you like it. I placed my sub on a old white cutting board 1/2 thick, about the size of the subs bottom and it helps make my sub more apartment friendly by reducing the vibrations on the floor so it wont disturb my neighbor downstairs. Also what is SW EP1 ?

Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks