What's new

Has Paramount abandoned p;lans to release ELEPHANT MAN and SUNSET BLVD. on Blu? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I know I am not imagining this. Some time back it was mentioned Paramount would be bring these and other catalog titles to Blu-ray, but I've seen no info. since. I wonder if their quietly backing down on these plans.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't remember such talk about these titles. With that said, I have serious doubts about Paramount releasing classic films onto Blu-ray based on their activity with SD DVD releases.

Crawdaddy

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I would also be interested in Sunset Boulevard. I bought the DVD without ever knowing anything about it. It is one of my favorite films now.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I would buy both films. I believe Sunset Boulevard was an earlier Lowry Digital effort (2001-2002?) that was only done at 2k and suffers a bit from "over scrubbing", similar to Citizen Kane. They'll probably need to do it again for a proper release.

Also, Paramount won't be releasing its first pre-70s film on Blu-ray until November with It's a Wonderful Life. They're by far the most hesitant studio, both on DVD and Blu-ray, in releasing their older catalog titles. I don't see them rushing to release many films of similar vintage, such as an early 50s classic like Sunset Boulevard.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I thought The Elephant Man was going to be released in September? I haven't read anything about Sunset Blvd. and if it needs a new restoration, that makes sense.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Elephant Man was on HD-DVD in Europe. I got a copy. I'd reckon that it's a much more beloved film in the U.K. and France than here in Estados Unidos, si.....my copy came from France and it was released by Studio Canal, oui. You'd think it'll be on Euro BD before too particularly long? That'd be the place to watch for it, I'd reckon.

Paramount released Zulu in the U.K. on BD but couldn't even be bothered to make it available in America de norde. That decision might just give some insight into how they think...? I'd quess they think Elephant Man has only modest sales potential on this side of the pond, so, why bother.

The Studio Canal HD-DVD looks purr-dy good to me and has stereo DTS Master audio....

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
These are two titles I'm looking forward to as well. Elephant Man will look great, and if I'm not mistaken, would be Lynch's first Blu-Ray title - something that is FAR overdue.

There's a Blu-Ray disc of TEM being released overseas, soon. Hopefully, the R1 counterpart will follow quickly. I think the artwork is up at DVDBeaver and it looks great.

Naturally, Sunset Boulevard is a must-buy for many of us. I'm just hoping that these movies didn't get delayed like a lot of Paramount's catalog seems to be...

I'd rather have The Conversation than Apocalypse Now but I'm probably alone in that.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

APOCALYPSE NOW was another of the rumored Blu-ray titles for this year...

RaveenaJust

Auditioning
Real Name
RaveenaJust
hi its coming to region b land released by
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
The European HD-DVD of THE ELEPHANT MAN looks fantastic but suffers from the "audio pitch" problem that plagued several European HD-DVDs released by Studio Canal. Hopefully the Blu-ray corrects this error.

As for David Lynch on Blu-ray, there's a French Blu-ray of DUNE if that counts.

Vincent

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
The German "The Elephant Man" Blu-ray from Kinowelt / StudioCanal (release date: 09/18/09) will certainly contain these extras:

• David Lynch Interview (engl. mit dt. UT) [24:47 Min.]
  • Interview with David Lynch by Mike Figgis (engl. mit dt. UT) [19:47 Min.]
  • John Hurt Interview (engl. mit dt. UT) [20:10 Min.]
  • Joseph Merrick: The Real Elephant Man (engl. mit dt. UT) [19:48 Min.]
  • The Air is on Fire: Interviews with David Lynch (engl. mit dt. UT) [14:48 Min.]

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I note that in the 'company credits' section of Once Upon a Time in The West on IMDB under 'dsitributors' it now says:
  • Paramount Home Video (2009) (USA) (DVD) (Blu-ray)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Originally Posted by Rachael B

Paramount released Zulu in the U.K. on BD but couldn't even be bothered to make it available in America de norde. That decision might just give some insight into how they think...? I'd quess they think Elephant Man has only modest sales potential on this side of the pond, so, why bother.
I'm pretty sure that Paramount doesn't have North American rights to Zulu. I think it's MGM.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by Jeff Adkins

I'm pretty sure that Paramount doesn't have North American rights to Zulu. I think it's MGM.

More than 12 months ago (IIRC), it was claimed by Dr Sheldon Hall that Paramount had gained worldwide rights for the film; despite that the MGM/UA DVD remains in print.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Paramount would make a lot of people happy with Blu releases of Once Upon a Time in the West, The Elephant Man, Sunset Blvd., Chinatown and Apocalypse Now. They could pretty much take the rest of the year off after that. I'd probably buy all of them if it didn't break the bank...

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Id be all over Chinatown and Once Upon a Time in the West like a cheap suit.

Never seen Elephant Man but Id like to. Prob pick it up as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks