Has anyone heard of a recall for Lilo & Stitch?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Dec 14, 2002.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I was in a store purchasing a second copy of L&S as a gift for someone this season. I got my copy on street date, but we haven't had a chance to watch it yet.
    In line in front of me was a small group of people, and as I set my pile on the counter to await my turn, one of the group ahead of me pointed to my L&S and started telling the others about how "they called us all together on the distrubution floor and told us about this recall for Lilo & Stitch".
    Now, here in Memphis is the distrubution center for The Disney Store. Also, the one for ToysRUs. And others I can think of.
    So I leaned forward and asked if I could be told more about this recall. The person got nervous, either because I should not have heard this or because they were scared the store employee would get upset if I decided not to buy the item. The only reply I got was that any copies on the shelf right now "ought to be okay".
    "Is there a defect? Or did someone find improper material on the release? Or something legal?"
    "Don't worry about it; I'm sure you're fine if you're buying it today."
    "Well, this is a second copy I'm getting, and just as a gift for someone. My copy was bought on the day it came out, and we're waiting to watch it. Are there any surprises waiting for me in it?"
    "I'm sure you're okay." With that, the person clammed up, paid for their stuff, and quickly left.
    I went ahead and bought the L&S, but I'm being careful not to open my copy or wrap the gift copy until I hear something more about this. Does anyone here have a clue? I'll call 800-72-DISNEY on Monday (they aren't open today). My local branch of The Disney Store doesn't know anything about it, either.
    Has anyone heard anything about this? [​IMG]

2. Max

Max Auditioning

From what I know at dvdfile.com, it's not that they're recalling because of defects; it's that they're recalling because of the 2-Disc special editions.
    Disney is highly considering, if not already certain, that it will stop making and 2-disc special editions with loads of special features.
    Reason Being: Over at the dvdfile forum I read that only 8% of people who want the film want it for the special features. The other 92% only want it for the movie. This is because the majority of people who will want it are children and children don't care about how the movie was made most of the time.
    I don't know if its a 2-disc or not but here's the link to the thread:
    http://www.dvdfile.com/interactive/f...threadid=25835
    -Max

3. David Lambert

No, this has nothing to do with a 2-disc version, as they were never produced. All L&S releases are 1-disc versions.

4. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I watched the disc last night and did not see any glitches, Maybe it's some legal issue over a half second of supplements or something silly like that. The stores I went to tosay had tons of the disc on display with seemingly no signs of a recall.

5. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

I haven't heard anything at all about a recall for Lilo & Stitch.

6. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    We watched our copy of L&S last week plus several of the supplements all the way through. I didn't notice any problems at all.

7. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Hi David, I think a recall of Lilo and Stitch is unlikely - I've seen no postings on the web about playback problems with the disc, and looking at the content of the disc I find it unlikely there is uncleared footage or other legal issues.

I suppose the thing to do is wait until Monday night, because if the disc was to be recalled so soon before Christmas, I expect the news would find its way to a DVD website quickly.

8. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I watched LILO AND STITCH last evening. The DVD was completely glitch free, both film and supplements. If there is a recall, it must be a legal issue of some kind.

9. John Leaning

John Leaning Agent

Maybe it's being recalled because it DOESN'T have any glitches [​IMG] They wouldn't want to break their incredible record of recent times.

10. David Lambert

Well, we decided to bite the bullet and just watch the darn thing.

No problems here whatsoever. And an incredibly enjoyable film to boot! I just dunno WHAT this person was talking about!

I'll still call Disney on Monday, time permitting. Thanks for the info, everyone! I'll let you know what they say.

11. Joe McKeown

Joe McKeown Stunt Coordinator

Maybe people complaining about the black bars??

12. David Lambert

Arnie said:

13. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

I read something about a scene with a child in a clothes dryer. Maybe they don't want some children getting a bad idea. I think it was edited out in England?

14. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn

15. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

I have heard that the Candaian DVD had some problems with the second layer being unplayable on some players. Not heard anything problematic about the version sold in the US and my copy plays fine.

16. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    glenn tha happened to me today also.

and it may be true that the dryer scene was taken out in uk versions because i thought someone else posted this in another forum.