What's new

'Harry Potter' At Pace To Set Record For Advance Ticket Sales (1 Viewer)

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
USA Today has an Link Removed
~Edwin
[Edited last by Edwin Pereyra on November 01, 2001 at 10:03 AM]

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
It really is incredible. Here, you may or may not know, that there will be advance screenings across the UK on the weekend of November 10th and the majority of screenings sold out the first few days they went on sale. I had my tickets secured for an evening showing next saturday...
On top of this, I can't think of any other single film to go into as many theatres in Britain as Philosopher's Stone (1000 instead of the more common 500). In the UK at least, it's Box Office takings will likely outdo Titanic's.
Dan (UK)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I have my advance critic's pass to see this next Sunday afternoon (yes, even skipping on watching football to see this), but I'm going to contact the issuing company so I can get in. I am not going to wait in line for hours to get a seat. I can only assume that it would otherwise be necessary.
------------------
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
Most recent reviews: Withnail and I: The Criterion Collection

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
USA Today seems to be promoting this film quite a bit. Just in the past 10 days alone they've printed about three articles. I expect more in the days to come.
~Edwin

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
You know I was showing off my HT system to my parents awhile back and we had an interesting followup conversation.
Bear in mind my parents are not big movie goers or TV watchers. They are more the visiting friends and having a coffee, reading books type of people, and their TV watching is generally restricted to the news.
Anyhow back to my point. After showing them scenes from T2, Toy Story(s), Contact etc my mother remarked that she now understands why movies are so popular. With the effects, the music etc movies are now a very powerful experience.
She went on further to say that for a lot of people this seems to be a replacement for religion for them.
Seeing posts like this and the frenzy around SW movies, and the upcoming LOTR makes me wonder if there is more than a grain of truth to that idea.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

ChristopherS

Second Unit
Lou,
You could well be right but before any of these movies existed there were the books they were based upon (not all movies, but many)which can be a form of escapism. Science fiction and fantasy was born in the minds and hearts of authors long before Stanley Kubrick made 2001 and George Lucas made Star Wars. What movies have done is brought these ideas/stories to the masses. Regrettably too many people would rather see the movie (actually any movie)instead of reading the book. Even now while many of us have read the Harry Potter series and the LOTR, many will never bother. They will see the movie (and say it is unfair to compare the movie - any movie - to the book) and judge this new "fad" by what they have seen on the big screen never realizing what they are missing. We are in the age of instant gratification where our attention span is limited to two or three hours, and then it is time to move on to another idea.
As for movies replacing religion, while I think this could be a great topic to discuss I do not see how it would not offend people and therefore be shut down.
Chris

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Chris - point taken. My post was not meant to offend anyone and I apologize if anyone was offended by it.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Just to confirm the thread topic,
I bought my tix on moviefone this morning for UA Theatre in Union Square for the eve of the 16th; I already have picked them up!
Now hopefully getting to see LoTR will be this easy!!
------------------

Adnan Sheikh

Stunt Coordinator
I know I've got my opening day tickets! 4.30 PM at the amazing Senator theatre in Baltimore.
Went to the local multiplex (UA Snowden Square) to see Monsters, Inc, and saw that they were also selling advanced tickets. Don't know when they started, but they had already sold out at least one showtime. Nice :).

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Jeez, the anticipation for this movie is strong. My 60 year old mother, who hasn't set foot in a commercial theatre since the early 1980s (and no, I'm NOT exaggerating) is breathlessly waiting to see this movie.
I wonder how she'll enjoy the modern theatrical experience. :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Ha, ha, suckers...I just got laid off.
Which means I can go to any matinee during the week. (I knew there was something good to losing your job
wink.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks