What's new

harmon/kardon AVR520 vs oknyo TXDS797 (1 Viewer)

GeorgeLee

Auditioning
does anyone know how does these two receiver compare to each other? and also for this price, $900, would you recommend these two receiver to something else? thanks
george

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Ooh, boy! I compared those for a couple of weeks and wish-washed and decided I liked the sound better of the HK 520. It's smoother and more right or pleasing to the ear. The Onkyo had a fuller sound w/ more bass and clean treble, but it was overall a little harsh or not musical sounding. It did have the features list.Good choice either way. Go to your local CC and compare the 2. Then go to some other places and listen to Denon, Marantz and NAD if you like HK. Listen to Yamaha if you like the Onkyo. Both of those units are being replaced. You could get a great deal now or hold off for the future.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
and also for this price, $900, would you recommend these two receiver to something else?
You should be able to get both of these receivers for much better than $900. I recently purchased the 520 from Onecall for about $600 delivered, and 6th Ave. electronics has it for about the same. Both authorized dealers. I am very happy with the 520, but you wouldn't go wrong with either one.

Joe Wilmore

Stunt Coordinator
The Onkyo brand is the worst as far as musical reproduction. You should be able to pick up the 520 for about $500.00 on ebay. I just got a 320 to use as a preamp for $350.00. If you get a chance, I implore you to listen to the same material on the 520 and the Onkyo before you buy.

Bob Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
The Onkyo 797 has quality control issues that you should be aware of. This model is known for ticking/popping in its speakers and also audio drop-outs that have been well documented on this and other forums. I suggest that you search the different forums if you are really considering this receiver.

Bob (former 797 owner)

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
If you buy it off ebay you probably won't get a warranty unless it's bought from Ebay seller: harmanaudio. You might want to check out www.harmanaudio.com to see if they have any refurb'ed items.

Leo_P

Second Unit
George, the 2 receivers you're looking at were my finalists. I was all set to get the Onkyo 797, 'til I did a side-by-side comparison of the two and the h/k sounded MUCH better to me. Needless to say, I bought the 520 from J&R for $650 back in April. You should be able to find a better price now, maybe somewhere else, but make sure they're an authorized dealer.
If you can arrange it, try to listen to both receivers through the same set of speakers (preferably at home)and make your decision based on what sounds best to YOU.
Good luck!

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Keith,
The current 320 shows 65Wx2, 55Wx5. The 325 manual now available at Harmankardon.com shows 65Wx2, 50Wx7. The new 325 is listing for $899. So knowing the current 520 shows 85Wx2, 75Wx5, a reasonable extrapolation would be--->525 likely having 85Wx2, 70Wx7 for $1199. Also DD-EX, Bass mgmt. on the multi-channel input, etc., things both the 320 and 520 are currently missing.
I believe someone reported that onecall.com had some preliminary specs listed. Judging from the 325 manual comparison they look right. Go here:
http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_17140.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks