What's new

Harman/Kardon AVR320 good receiver? (1 Viewer)

StevenK

Second Unit
I sold my 520 because it would occassionally shut down for no reason. That plus no DD-EX and a horrendous remote sealed its fate for me.

Leo_P

Second Unit
Jason, if you're happy with your 320, why ask about the quality? On the other hand if you're NOT happy, get rid of it.
I have a H/K AVR520, and I couldn't be happier with it. A LOT of people give H/K a bad rap, whether they deserve it or not. I don't care if everyone else hates my 520. I don't care if nobody buys a 520 ever again. I like my AVR520 and I think it's a quality item. BTW, I've had it for about a month and a half and it hasn't given me ANY problems (knock on wood :D).
What I guess I'm trying to say is that IMHO only YOU can say if YOUR 320 is a quality product.
DD-EX is similar to DTS-ES Matrix. It takes a Dolby Digital (5.1) signal and redirects some surround effects to the center rear channel speaker (if you have one) to give you a simulated 6.1 channels. DTS-ES Discrete provides six discrete, full-bandwidth channels plus the LFE channel, for a true 6.1 channels.
I don't have a center rear speaker so it's no big deal that my 520 doesn't do DD-EX or that it DOES do DTS-ES!

Jason-Pro

Stunt Coordinator
Leo i have it but i have not used it yet just turned it on to make sure it turns on lol all my speakers are in the proccess of being made ! just excited to get it up and running ! would like to know what everybody else thinks about it.
ive only spent about $1900 on everything Receiver DVD player (both harman/kardon remanufactured items) and then all stryke speakers. hopefully i will like it tho only 18 years old but ive been into car audio since i was 10 and did some home audio to but this is my first expensive stereo !
just excited tho :)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I'm interested too to see how people like their HK's.

I wish more here liked HK, but it seems most buy the Denons and Onkyos, as far as

Jason-Pro

Stunt Coordinator
well i got my AVR320 for $389 so its all good. it looks like it wasnt even used to i guess i got the lucky factory refurbed one !
my DVD 5 looks new to got it from harmanaudio (harmans store) for $243 i think it was. both are great and look new.

DonJ

Second Unit
I love my H/K AVR320 it rocks. There are alot of people here who buy H/K and love it. Matter a fact there are only a few detractors. I have not had any problems with mine what so ever and it has enough power to push my Paradigm Monitor 9 v2.

StanleyW

Stunt Coordinator
i have the older 310. it is probably the same receiver without the 7.1, dp2 and maybe a couple of other features. i have had it for a couple of months now and it has been great. one of the best receivers for music imo. good luck with yours.

Leo_P

Second Unit
Looks like I spoke too soon...:angry:
I had to unplug my 520 today like the manual says. I wasn't getting any audio from the DVD player and the video from my cable box and Xbox, which I pass through my receiver, were really dark. About the only thing that was working was 2-channel stereo.
But after unplugging the receiver for a couple of minutes everything was OK.
Hope that NEVER happens again...

GuyL

Grip
Hey Leo,
I had a similar problem with my H/K 310. The video pass through at times wouldn't work. At first, unplugging the unit for an hour or more would correct the problem, but it continually got worse until the pass through would no longer work. It's still under warranty, so I put it in the shop a couple of days ago. Haven't heard anything back yet.

KyleRoussel

Stunt Coordinator
I just put in my order for a 320 after returning my Yamaha HTR 5560. Not that I was unhappy with the Yammy, but it did cost me $1000 cdn with the tax and extra warranty coverage. So I got my money back and had my brother order me a demo 320 which may run me $300-$400. The 320 made a great impression on me, and I've wanted it ever since I've heard it. So the way I saw it, I save $600-$700 dollars for a receiver that's just as good if not better than the 5560. And I just may get my brother to order a couple of s38's with the cash I saved! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks