What's new

Which Cheap HT Receiver (1 Viewer)

BobMcN

Grip
I'm building an inexpensive HT set-up in my basement. So far I've picked up four AR 215's from J&R ($50/pair). I've ordered the 10"sub from Parts Express. I will get an AR center once I've got the receiver.

As for the receiver ... There are several inexpensive choices floating around U-Bid and EBAY. Most seem to be manufacturer refurbished, which means a price of about half retail. Good deal for me - maybe. I'm wondering which makes sense, depending on how out of date they are and the feature set. Here's what I'm looking at:

Onkyo TSXR500 (@$170 at U-Bid)
Harman Kardon AVR300 (@$165 on EBAY)
Harman Kardon AVR320 (@$280 on EBAY)
Harman Kardon AVR225 (@$240 on EBAY)
Harman Kardon AVR520 (@$260 on EBAY)

Thanks for any recommendations and insights.

Bob

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I have noticed people complaining about that Onkyo model. I would stay clear of it. Try doing a search for each of those model #'s on here.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
At my local Fry's this past weekend, the Sherwood 6108 was on sale for $97.00. Yes, brand-new in box with 2 years manufacturer's warranty. This is a 5.1 model with dTS, Dolby Digital, and Dolby Pro-Logic II. 100 watts/channel into 6 ohms. Sound and Vision magazine just did a test on the 7108, which is the same ting except for 6.1 decoding. :emoji_thumbsup:

Will be a little more at your local Circuit City.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
A HK520 for what!? $260!? I paid $350 for my HK225- which is a great entry level receiver. I use it with the DLS 10- best bang for your dollar sub out there.
The HK520 has the upgradable feature of being able to add an amp later on if you would like to. The 320 is also sweet. I would go with one of those, but beware of ebay receivers as some of these earlier units, not the 225 that I know of, have been known to have a couple of quirks. If truly they are manufacturer refurbs (with warranty) and ebay is authorized- I wouldn't hesitate however. Wow! A 520 for $260...amazing!

By the way, all you probably need is that Sherwood though, but it won't come close the the HK units.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks