Marantz SR6200, Still can't decide on receiver: Denon AVR2802 or Harman Kardon AVR320

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonWaddington, Aug 28, 2002.

1. JasonWaddington

JasonWaddington Stunt Coordinator

i have heard bad things and good things about all of these receivers.....The denon having good warm sound but quality problems, the marantz having the best sound for music but defects, and the hk having warm sound but also having problems and way less power. I have been getting close to getting the Marantz lately because I can get one for around $500 and because music is about %80 of my listening. The problem is I dont know if this was made after they fixed the defects. Also, I noticed the xover for subwoofer sound is high at 100hz....I can also get the Denon for around $500, but I would like to know what the quality issues are with them and what the xover for subwoofer sound is, 80? 100?...Or I can go with HK and go with less power, which I dont really want to do.

So, what should I do? I want the best for music, which would obviously be marantz, but I do not want to risk the quality issues. What to do what to do....

2. Phil M

Phil M Stunt Coordinator

Easy.... get the HK and don't look back[​IMG]
    Seriously, if you can, bring them home either one at a time, or a couple together and listen and USE them to see what YOU like the best.
    I've always been a big Denon fan so when I decided to upgrade I brought home the 2802, but I was also intrigued by the HK so I brought a 320 home also.
    For me, there was no comparison, I much preferred the HK for sound, power, user interface, and set-up flexibility. (not to mention the Logic 7 processing!)
    I was really amazed on how much power the HK had. I'm now only using it as a pre/pro and am still enjoying it.
    I also did buy a Marantz SR8200, but returned it after a week as it had too many "issues" for me. Mainly to do with bass management & the use of external test tones.
    Happy hunting.
    Phil

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Jason,

If you're using the old 'less power' thing from personal experience with H/K that's fine. But I suspect that is not the case and you're simply expressing 'street buzz' about H/K's in which case you are seriously misinformed. So are many others. When tested, H/K's more than meet their posted power ratings across ALL CHANNELS DRIVEN. This puts them in the company of folks like Rotel, NAD, Arcam, B&K, etc. Think about it.

When tested in groups of like receivers, H/K's are routinely described as playing 'louder' than anything else in the test. Read the reviews at Ecoustics.com and elsewhere.

Having said that, I can still say that any comparable receiver from the 3 makers under consideration would make for a wise purchase. As Phil pointed out, you have to listen to them...under the best conditions you can manage.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree, I don't know where you got that H/K is underpowered? H/K has some of the better integrated amps out there. We are talking about CLEAN power, not just what the "watts to watts" comparison of these receivers. Of the 3 mentioned, the Marantz should deliver the most power, with the H/K and Denon not too far off. I personally don't feel Denon has a warm sound, at least not compared to the other two. What that means to me is speaker selection is more important with Denon than Marantz or H/K.

All 3 manufacturers have had some quality issues with the current generation, so you take the same risk with each, which ultimately means, get the one that sounds the best.

Music wise, H/K and Marantz are very close, IMO.

5. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

I've been nothing but pleased with my 2802, and certainly haven't seen many quality issues mentioned around here. It is a very well built receiver, quality parts, clean power. I have never watched a movie and felt "man, this thing just can't deliver the juice". If I run it at near-reference levels, my ears begin to bleed (granted, it is still perfectly clean power and clear audio).

The 2802 has adjustable subwoofer xover you can set at 80, 100, or 120. I've got mine on 80 paired with an SVS 25-31 PCi, and it is great. As I posted in another thread, you really won't go wrong with any of these three (all of them have strengths/weaknesses), but I certainly hear more than a fair share of Denon downplaying from non-Denon owners.

6. JasonWaddington

does the hk have an adjustable xover?

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I will not slight the current or previous generations of Denon for movies, as they do an excellent job, but the question was more in reference to music. Music is where H/K and Marantz simply shine. I have heard far fewer issues with Denon than Marantz or H/K in the last year. though.

H/K crossover:

8. Paul Clarke

Yes, Small=80Hz,100Hz Large=40Hz,60Hz

Oops. John beat me to it.

9. JasonWaddington

Well I did it, I got a HK AVR520 off uBid for.....$469!!!! can you believe that price? Thats less than half of retail! Hopefully I don't get some broken unit or something, but good news is uBid is authorized, I think.

Excellent settings on the sub xover. I think i'll set my klipsch rf-3II's to small and set the xover to 80hz, leaving the rest to my dual svs 25-31CS's.

10. Paul Clarke

Congrats, Jason. My 510 also came from Ubid with a 2 year Harman warranty. You just can't beat this stuff. Although the AC4Less.com Marantz's are a superb buy themselves. Less upfront warranty but Oh, the Music they make!

11. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

John, yep, the Denon retains custom settings for each input.

Jason, congrats on the 520. Like I said, you really can't go wrong on any of these.

Rich