What's new

Funny excuses to upgrade..... (1 Viewer)

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Hi...I'm new here so be nice :~P
My old set up included a Harman Kardon AVR25 in my upstairs home theater with the 50" Mitsubishi and the full 5 speakers w/ sub, and downstairs a Harman Kardon AVR10 with the 35" Mitsubishi and just the front three speakers and a sub. I had purchased my first 2 DVD players a little over a year ago, 2 Toshiba sd1700's, and the analog audio just recently went out on both...a common problem with these I found. (neither one of my receivers had digital inputs)
So, I figured I could pop for 2 more DVD players and spend $200-$300, or.....I could upgrade my receivers , keep the 2 DVD players, and use the DIGITAL audio outputs on them ;)
Hey...it was time to upgrade anyway....right?
So I convinced the wife that I could get the Kenwood 6050 for $249.00 for one room, not have to buy a new DVD for $125 or so, and in effect , get the receiver for $125...such a deal! So I brought it home and I really wasn't all that thrilled with it for my upstairs setup, so I went back to CC and noticed the Harman Kardon AVR320 floor model on sale for $399, so I figured ...gee it's only $150 more for a receiver that sold for $700 or more not that long ago and , since I don't have to spring for the new DVD player, I'm actally getting it for more like $275! So I took that sucker home too, started feeling guilty cause I had 2 perfectly good receivers...now I've got 4 sitting there, and even though the wife was being pretty gracious about the whole thing I decided to take the Kenwood back, move the AVR25 downstairs and do without the DVD down there. But darn....within 2 days of moving that sucker downstairs the right channel quit working....gee honey, I guess we've GOT to keep the Kenwood now :frowning:
So anyway, I just spent $650 plus tax , and another $220 on cabling, for a grand total of over $900, to save $200-$300 on new DVD players! But, hey....I've got DTS and DD now and digital inputs and s-video and I'm good for another 5 or 6 years! Such a deal!
BTW...to keep on topic here, I really like the AVR320 alot and would highly recommend it, especially at the closeout prices.
If you decide to get one don't give up on it too fast...you've really got to mess with it to get it just right. The 5-channel stereo mode is awesome for music CD's and the Dolby Digital and DTS are exceptional. Try out Pearl Harbor during the attack.
The Kenwood is pretty mediocre comparatively, especially on movies. Not nearly the rear channel clarity and separation of the HK, but it's got nice features and sounds OK for 2 channel stereo music if you use the speaker and active equalization modes. But then again it costs alot less too. Cheers!

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Well, as far as the 2 DVD players with the bad analog audio?
I'm still using those but with the digital audio outputs now that I have new receivers with the correct inputs.

As far as the HK AVR25 with the bad right channel? It's stacked in my listening room, with the old AVR10, collecting dust until I can check it out further. It's an older receiver with just Pro Logic anyway so I'm not that concerned with it.
To make matters worse, it now appears my subwoofer driver is busted...when it rains it pours!

EdNichols

Second Unit
Something similar happened to me (got bitten by the upgrade bug that is). I had an older Sony Pro-logic reciever and some cheap JBL bookshelf speakers which had served me well for the last few years. I had been toying with the idea of getting a Dolby Digital receiver for full surround sound. So I started doing a little searching and saw a Sony on sale that had Dolby Digital for $179. So I thought, not bad, it was around Christmas time so I thought I would buy myself an early present. But before I buy I thought, I'll just do a little research and see what else is out there. I hadn't even looked at any audio stuff in a few years. Well, "looking just to see" was a big mistake. One of the places I ended up finding in my search was this forum.

To make a long story short, not only did I end up with another more expensive (0nkyo) receiver, I ended up with all new Energy speakers and I just ordered a new VMPS sub.

The problem is (thanks to this friggin forum) I now want separates and better speakers. You guys make me mad.

Bitten by the bug and ............lovin it!!

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Yo ... Ed! Glad to see I'm not the only one and ..hey!...it's only money and we may die tomorrow so why not go for it. Besides...like you said...we can always blame it on 'these' guys. Cheers!

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
:)

Same kinda thing happened to me.

My old AVR 2600 had no digital inputs. Then my wife got me X Box for Xmas. Well you can't get the 5.1 sound from Halo without digital. Need a new reciever. Wife says OK but you can't spend the same kind of money NOW you spent on the AVR 2600 years ago. OK all I could get was a 1603 80watts. Now though it didn't drive my DT DR7 well. I need more efficietn speakers. Look at Monitor 7s that are more efficient. You know what still don't want to put too much load on the poor little budget reciver so maybe the sub could carry more load. Why not upgrade the PDR12 to a PW2200 take some load off the budget amp.

Somehow getting an Xbox ended up with 1603, Monitor 7 cc 370 and Pw 2200. All I need now is a new game that requires seperates1

RobWil

Supporting Actor
See...she thought she was being thrifty and look what it cost her :D
It just doesn't pay in the long run to budget!

Oh yeah...remember I mentioned that I thought my sub driver had busted. Well chalk up another $334...."but dear, I got it on ebay and it sells for like $800 new at some places."
(An Infinity IL 120S ;) yubba, dubba, doo!)

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
Getting an Xbox caused me to almost completely overhaul my HT. I had a Denon AVR-1602 and ran out of video inputs and digital inputs. I had a PS2 with digital audio input, DVD player with digital audio input, VCR, and TV audio going through the receiver. When I got the Xbox I ran out of connections on the receiver. So I ended up getting the Denon AVR-1603 (a BIG step up dollar wise) and came to conclusion that I could get bigger speakers since the new receiver had a lot more power than the last. So I ended up selling my Take 5.2 system for Energy Connoisseurs speakers; C-7's for the fronts, C-C3 center channel when it comes out, and C-1's for the surrounds. All because I had to play games in Dolby Digital. Getting a nice tax refund certainly helped this.

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
Correction to my last post, I got the Denon AVR-3803 receiver. I guess the AVR-1603 would not be a big step up from the 1602.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Yeah...where would some of us be without tax returns and credit cards :emoji_thumbsup:
Anyway...gotta do some more sweet talkin' to the wife cause now I'm going to have to get the RABOS kit to fine tune my new sub and a nice new sub cable. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks