What's new

Hardware Area Division..Nice! (1 Viewer)

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Hi!,
Dividing the Hardware as well as TV area was a very good idea.
For those that don't have a lot of time to visit the Forum, this division makes it much easier to read and get involved in a specific area of interest.
However,,Receiver/Seperates could have been intergrated together as well as Speaker/Subwoofers since they usually go hand in hand when building a system.
Good Job anyways!!
Now if Steven would just send me those cigars I would be even happier.:)
Thanks,

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Since the, it has to go thread, has gotten a little long, I'm gonna repost my thoughts in Trevor's new, it's a good idea thread.

I think the hardware forum needed some division but not this much. I aggree with Steve (from the other thread), but I'd condense his signal source and processing into one category. I could go for 4 categories in hardware.

Electronics/Amps

Speakers

Subs

Accessories/Tweaks

Trevor could be right though (and my bias isn't seeing it) and speakers and subs should be combined and there would then be 3 categories.

I really dislike the individual manufacture thing in the TV section. If your brand isn't very popular it is very unlikely you are going to get any useful help. Also, that forum didn't have a lot of traffic, it wasn't hard to keep up with it all in one forum.

I think splits should only happen when a need arrises. And then only one or two splits should happen, if that solves the replies getting barried, then leave it be. If it doesn't then consider another division.

The biggest issue with divisions I see is ambiguity has to be limited. This is not easy to do. What seems obvious to one person will not be obvious to another. People have to know where their post belongs. If you narrow the categories too much (or offer more than one place for the post which the main hardware section currently encourages) you more frequently just don't know where to post.

Also if things get divided too much people are a lot more likely to miss something they really wish they hadn't. If you don't frequent the receiver section, and there is a discussion on a new receiver that would be perfect for you, you'll miss it with the current arrangement.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I just went and looked at the number of posts that have arrizen in the speakers and subwoofer categories over the past few days. There should only be three categories.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I would roll "speakers" back into Hardware, but leave the "Subwoofer" section alone and out of general Hardware.

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
I really dislike the individual manufacture thing in the TV section. If your brand isn't very popular it is very unlikely you are going to get any useful help. Also, that forum didn't have a lot of traffic, it wasn't hard to keep up with it all in one forum.
Not sure what you meant by individual manufacture.?

It's divided by FPTV,RPTV, and Dirct View..This is OK this way.

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
I like the way it was set up as you don't get into the sub divisions until you actually enter the Hardware area.

This keeps the main board clean and easy to navigate.

It's a change and some people will need time to adjust or adapt to it..Some will greet it with open arms right from the get go!.

Many changes have occured at HTF over the last three years as I have been a member. It's all part of keeping up with growth and expansion.

All is good.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Trev, for a brief time, the TV section was broken up by makers of the TVs, and that was just too much! :)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Oops, I haven't been back there since the first time I saw that. Didn't realize they already removed it.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have to admit that the fragmented forums will take somegetting used to for the old timers but in the end, I see it as being a good thing rather than have one hardware section or software section.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Its nice, but its splintered into too many parts...

I dont think hardware needs to have SUBWOOFERS, WIRES/INTERCONNECTS, TWEAKS, SEPERATES, and REMOTES in their own page... this would also keep General hardware going more... Only the basic Speakers (incl subs), Recievers, DVD players should be enough.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I voted for the old version in the official thread but only because I think that there are way too many subdivisions. I think that if there were a few, well thought out subdivisions then it would be a good idea. If it stayed as it is now then I'd be happier going back to the old version.

FWIW:

1. Separates + receivers

2. Sources

3. Speakers + subwoofers

4. Everything else (General Topics)

I think that the TV section is actually pretty good broken down as it is.

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
I agree with Jim.

Sources being VCR,LD,DVD

Tweaks and Cables would do well together also.

I am sure that most that said NO in the survey would agree with this structure.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Not my ideal, but I like everyone else am biased. I could go for Jim's suggested split or either of mine :D

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Is there a technical reason as to why it can't be both??

i.e . Post to Hardware Section with a specialty of Subwoofer such that it would appear in the Hardware lengthy list, but if desired one could choose to view those topics of Subwoofer specialty as a group as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks