What's new

handshake issue, pink tinted screen (1 Viewer)

tuffluck

Auditioning
Real Name
Evan
Hi all, I have a Viera P60ST60, Denon 1713 AVR, and a Motorola PVR (DX3400) for Time Warner Cable. This is a completely new setup besides the PVR (I used with an old TV for a couple of years and never had a pink tinted screen before with it, so I suspect it isn't the problem).

I turn the setup on via a Harmony One remote and every few days it turns on to a pink/purple tinted screen. I've turned off each unit separately when this happens and then turn them back on and the screen will stay pink unless I turn off the TV. Turning off and on the AVR/PVR separately doesn't fix the problem. I shouldn't have done this, but I left everything on once and unplugged the HDMI from the PVR and plugged it into my DVD, fired it up and it was not purple/pink. I kept everything on and unplugged it from the DVD and plugged it back in to the cable and it was pink/purple on the cable again. I thought that was particularly odd.

I haven't done much other in the way of troubleshooting, but I did read on this forum to prevent handshake issues, unplug everything from the wall and plug it back in. That seemed the most promising as its been nearly 2 weeks since the last episode (before it was occuring every 2-3 days), but alas, last night I turned it on and it was pink/purple again. Any idea what this could be or what I can try to do to fix it? Could it be a malfunctioning TV/AVR/PVR?

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Its the AVR. My former Marantz 8002 never once failed to shake and my current Yamaha 3010 has never once failed to shake. However my former Onkyo 3007 and former Sherwood R972 would rarely shake correctly and were headaches from the day they were added to the day they were sold. You can try different cables as a last resort. If you have a long run you can try an HDMI amp. Otherwise youll likely need to go with video direct to the display to get it reliable.

tuffluck

Auditioning
Real Name
Evan
do you think i should get a new model of avr, or just replace the one i have? crutchfield is willing to replace it.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Well I can tell you that its an annoyance that never gets easier and its a tough call if another AVR will fix the issue. Denon is pretty reliable and Ive never heard a bad word about them but maybe you got a defective unit. I guess if I had exhausted all troubleshooting (mentioned above) I would have Crutchfield send me another of the same unit, just to be sure. If that doesnt work I would be looking at anyone other than Onkyo and Denon. With year after year of Onkyo HDMI board failures, and my personal experience with unreliable handshake issues, I would never recommend Onkyo. Luckily Crutchfield is awesome about customer satisfaction and you should be able to achieve reliable HDMI handshakes eventually.

PS I would also make sure the AVR is set to video pass through, see if that makes a diff.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've have 4 Onkyo/Integra HDMI AVR and I've never had a board failure.DTR 5.8 and 7.8TX SR707 and NR1008I have no problem recommending Onkyo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks