What's new

HAMMER FILM BLU-RAYS IN THE U.K. ... getting closer to the Holy Grail (DRACULA, 1958)... (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by John Hodson /t/322651/hammer-film-blu-rays-in-the-u-k-getting-closer-to-the-holy-grail-dracula-1958/30#post_3999487
So, if we were guessing - just suppose - what's your guess as to what's going on here Robert?
Someone didn't ask the right questions going in.

RAH

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
If this Blu-ray was sourced from an interpositive, which was made from an internegative that was made from color separation masters, that would at least account for some of the softness in the image. Look how many generations of film elements this thing went thru to get to where it is, also taking into account that those elements don't look like they were made terribly well. Having seen some of the other Hammer titles on Blu-ray of late, CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN was definitely a let down. Not bad by any means, but really mediocre.
Contrast levels are definitely too harsh, with blown out whites, especially in the early reels. As far as the aspect ratio goes, I read what was written in the Hammer blog and I do kind of see what they're driving at with the framing of some shots, but I can't imagine this film was shown hardly anywhere, if anywhere, in 1.37. They would have composed for widescreen while filming by this point.
Still, I can live with the extra space at the top of the frame on most shots. I just wish the disc looked better. I would give it a 6 out of 10 and I think that's being generous.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
If all that you read about the OAR debate was on the Hammer blog, you should check out what seems like 40 odd pages of "discussion" in the Aspect Ratio Thread.
The thread still hasn't recovered!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Jim: have you ever handled 35mm film?
Just kidding. I thought your name was familiar. Nice to see you here!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I believe either in this thread or another, the wise Mr. Harris has made a post saying that this film, if transferred from the correct elements, could look as good as it did the day it came out. I believe him. As to inherent softness - not a chance - sharp as a tack is what it should be and certainly what it isn't. Six out of ten is being more than generous - I'd give it a 0 out of 10 because the color is a joke and it's disgusting looking. Other than that, I guess it's just dandy.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
Bob Furmanek said:
Hi Bob. Thanks for the kind words. I've been on the forum for awhile now, I just rarely post anything. As Ollie once said "I have nothing to say." Well, usually.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Mark Oates /t/322651/hammer-film-blu-rays-in-the-u-k-getting-closer-to-the-holy-grail-dracula-1958/30#post_3999607
I consider myself chastised.
Please don't. Merely saying...

Nothing personal.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek /t/322651/hammer-film-blu-rays-in-the-u-k-getting-closer-to-the-holy-grail-dracula-1958/30#post_3999587
As Mr. Furmanek knows, if and when Mr. Harwood adds his thoughts to this forum, they should be taken seriously.

RAH

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
Robert Harris said:
As Mr. Furmanek knows, if and when Mr. Harwood adds his thoughts to this forum, they should be taken seriously.
RAH
And thank you too Mr. Harris for your kind words. Two glowing comments in one day. Something tells me the rest of my weekend is just going to be crap. :D

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Robert Harris said:
Please don't.  Merely saying...
Nothing personal.
Your patience is appreciated, Mr H. From the outside, the workings of the DVD and Blu-ray world are mysterious and arcane. Insights are a treat as otherwise we're left with speculation that may be educated but ultimately ill-informed. I am at best an enthusiastic observer of the industry, peeking through a keyhole - at times a Yale one - at a larger world.

RobHam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob Hamilton
John Hodson said:
Good article John - it's swung me away from re-purchasing any Hammer on BD at least for the time being.
These days I view the Hammer DVD's I have with wistful nostalgia - being ten years old again and having the willies scared out of you by being allowed to watch late night television for the first time. With the more critical eye of an adult 40 years later, most of Hammer's output (with the exception of the Terence Fisher directed films) seem rather silly.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
That's a good summary of all the reports I've been reading.
How very disappointing.
A couple of people at Hammer don't know what they're doing.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Most of the article is fine save for the part about vivid color in The Curse of Frankenstein - I wonder if the viewer is simply colorblind.
But the fact that Hammer or anyone else would call The Curse of Frankenstein's transfer "restored" is hilarious. What restoration? It's a bad transfer off a bad element and it's been stated here too many times that this film could look as great as it did back in 1957 and without a fancy shmancy restoration.

Cant Sleep

Auditioning
Real Name
Darren
haineshisway said:
Most of the article is fine save for the part about vivid color in The Curse of Frankenstein - I wonder if the viewer is simply colorblind.
I am that viewer, and I must say it's an interesting debate about the colour. After the Leicester screening of the film in July, I reported that it looked washed out. And my initial viewings of the blu-ray left me with the same impression. So when I read some reviews that mentioned the strong colour, I thought 'what?', and I went back and took another look.
I was surprised to see that, for the most part, colours were actually quite vivid. I think it was the bleached faces (faces being an obvious point of focus when watching a film) and the undeniable softness of the image that left me with the impression that I was watching a film with washed-out colour.
The screenshots that accompany the review at Cathode Ray Tube are a pretty decent gauge of the colour on the new discs (I'm not sure whether, as a new member, I'm allowed to post a link, but a search for "Cathode Ray Tube"+"Frankenstein" should get you there). I think there are some very nice reds, greens and blues there.
If anyone disagrees, though, you won't catch me mounting too rigorous a defence, because this is definitely a disappointing transfer and the worst Hammer 'restoration' to date.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Cathode Ray Tube:
http://www.cathoderaytube.co.uk/2012/10/british-cult-classics-curse-of.html

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Posted on the Hammer blog, re: the Rasputin The Mad Monk audio, Hammer say: "This will be our first and only comment on the issue...":
Although we don’t agree that it’s “terrible”, there is a reasonable explanation as to why the audio on the new StudioCanal UK release sounds different from that of previous releases. The current release has sound which has been restored directly from the original mono audio on an original 35mm optical element (as with many Hammer titles, the original M&E masters no longer exist). The audio was in very bad shape, but comprehensively restored. Sadly the removal of a very high level of hiss throughout meant an extensive EQ pass. This pass made the dialogue much more audible and drastically reduced the levels of hiss, but also by necessity affected the range of the audio. After the EQ pass, the ticks, crackle, pops and scratches were almost completely removed. The options for this particular release of the film were to leave the artefacts on the soundtrack (which really would have made it sound “terrible”) or restore the audio but thereby affect the range. We are 100% happy that we made the correct decision in this case and hope the restored audio does impact your appreciation of the overall presentation.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
3755_10151226150229518_819032717_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks