What's new

Halo and a 65" RPTV (1 Viewer)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Well, I've given up on playing on the big screen. I'm now down to a pathetic 13". I guess I've been too used to a 17" monitor for FPS that anything bigger makes me dizzy and makes my head tick like crazy. Then again it might be the controls. For CS, I use the mouse and u know how fluid that can be.

Any of u guys have similar experiences?

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
So let me get this straight-you'd rather play on a little 13" set than the 65"? Well, if you're not going to use it, I wouldn't mind taking it off your hands...

Do you really find the controls that different from a keyboard and mouse? I thought the parallel was quite good actually.

Stan_MM

Auditioning
Hmmm, Maybe it's your viewing distance. I have Toshiba 65" with the HDTV hookups. My wife and I play from 15 feet and have no problems.

I like to play with the room darkened and one coffee table lamp on on either, the front right or left, of the TV turned on. I think this light helps because the color from the TV could be overwhelming.

We crank up the stereo and go for it! For me it has changed it from just "playing" a game to having an "experience".

Hope you find a setup that's agreeable with you!

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Hell man, I don't know how you can handle going from such a nice sized screen to such a tiny little one?

My downstairs is being remodeled into a true home theater and, I haven't been able to use my 60" Proscan for quite some time. I'm stuck upstairs on a 35" and, I can't help the squinty, claustrophobic feeling I get playing on it. It's damn hard to get used to and I've been using it since last November.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
So I take it I should just "suck it up" and go ballistic with it. Hmmm...maybe tomorrow...I got time to blow chunks and all anyway....will let u guys know how it goes....

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've got a 53", and if the PC version were out I'd rather play it on my 21" Viewsonic at 1600x1200 than at 640x480p on my RPTV.

Don't get me wrong, I think Halo, and the XBox, are absolutely fantastic...but a first person shooter benefits greatly from resolution.

Stan_MM

Auditioning
Michael St. Clair,

I know where you are coming from and I completely understand. I have been playing FPS's for years on the PC and my wife wasn't even remotely interested. And I never even attempted to get her to play with me.

Even with a decent sized office and desk there are so many other things she wouldn't want to "deal" with. Might have a lot to do with being uncomfortable with a PC.

But the TV she knows, plop down on the couch and let's play. She'll even be satisfied just watching me play games.

I find myself less and less playing the PC games because I find it more enjoyable to participate with her.

Cheers!

Stan

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Eric, don't let us big-TV snobs push you around, man...if it literally makes you ill to play Halo on your big TV then it hardly seems worth it! I mean, it's a great game, but not if you have to pause it every five minutes to run to the john... :)
Seriously, as a previous poster suggested, is it possible that you are sitting too close? Did you try moving back to about 15 feet? That's the only thing I can think of...sometimes it's weird how certain games affect certain people. I remember getting pretty nauseous playing Descent on my little 15" monitor back in the day.
I hope moving back works out for you, because it would be a shame to miss out on such a great experience! Do any other games affect you like that?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I know where you are coming from and I completely understand. I have been playing FPS's for years on the PC and my wife wasn't even remotely interested. And I never even attempted to get her to play with me.

But the TV she knows, plop down on the couch and let's play. She'll even be satisfied just watching me play games.

I find myself less and less playing the PC games because I find it more enjoyable to participate with her.
We do the same, but it works out well for me because she doesn't care for FPS. So we play mostly fighting and platform games on the big screen. And a couple of times a week I play FPS online with the PC after she goes to sleep at night. Best of both worlds.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
OK...an update. tried it for a good 3 hours and I guess

I AM CURED!!!

I reached up to Truth and Reconciliation on Legendary mind you! And I learned that the cute pistol with the zoom is quite effective "snipping" these aliens. I had a hard time..u can tell by the time I soent on it...but its worth it.

Jon Diehl

Stunt Coordinator
Eric,

I've had the same experience. For the first few days of playing Halo on my 65" HDTV, I was also very motion sick. I'm using to playing FPS on my 19" monitor, and driving around the warthog was also making me dizzy....even sitting 14ft from the screen.

I kept playing though, and after a week or so, I was fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks