1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Hair in the drain

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Kleist, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Can anyone recommend a drain filter or a cleaner that's really good at removing hair? I hate having to plunge every 2 to 3 weeks, and I brush my hair a lot. It STILL clogs up the drain

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Liquid Drano melts hair pretty much on contact.

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

You may have a clog further down the pipe than just the drain opening if it is backing up often. Despite pulling a wig out of my drain weekly, it was still plugging, so I used a drill driven gizmo that snakes down the pipe to the stack, and pulled out a monster wad of munge that had been in there for years. Even with the weekly deposits in the drain, it still empties well now.

There are plastic hair sieves you can get that go over the drain to stop hair from going down it, which you should be able to get at most hardware stores. I wouldn't recommend using Drano or the like very often.

4. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I do have a snake, but the problem is that when we got the bathroom redone they put in this crappy drain hole with 3 arms that come out to hold up the plug. It's very hard to get anything down there.