What's new

Gunsmoke Season 13 Any Word ? (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I'm nearing the end of Season 12 and am looking forward to my Yearly Gunsmoke Fix, c'mon paramount can't you just release these things at least 2 seasons a year ?
The 4 shows I want the most keep getting stalled out: Gunsmoke, Bonanza (I am a huge of the "lost" episodes), The Beverly Hillbillies, and Petticoat Junction.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The 4 shows I want the most keep getting stalled out: Gunsmoke, Bonanza (I am a huge of the "lost" episodes), The Beverly Hillbillies, and Petticoat Junction.
Those are the four I want to see the most from CBS as well. I would also like to see High Chapparel and Our Miss Brooks released and for a real CBS pipe dream I would like to see them finish My Three Sons.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
i wonder if CBS would allow Shout or Someone finish Petticoat and Beverly Hillbillies

The thing about someone else finishing the shows is will CBS provide complete, uncut versions, or will whatever company gets the license wind up like VEI, releasing extra cut syndicated prints recorded off a UHF station in 1982? Because of all they're going to do is give up crappy syndication prints, I'd rather see nothing released, because personally, I'm not going to buy them anyway and the people who do are just telling CBS they're okay with substandard crap being pumped out by the worst company they can find.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
i wonder if CBS would allow Shout or Someone finish Petticoat and Beverly Hillbillies
I had e-mailed Shout! long before the announcement of S1 of The Beverly Hillbillies and asked them if they would "step up to the plate." I got a response that "we are lacing up our cleats now" or something to that extent. I really thought that they were going to do something with it, but then Constantly Being Stalled did the release of S1. Who can tell? Shout! would be a great company to take it on in my opinion. VEI? Who knows? Petticoat Junction would probably be unedited since the Syndication Bible shows "network" to be the only option for distribution; if they did Uncle Jed and kin, they'd probably get the butchered episodes that have been floating around for 35 years or so.

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew

To echo what others have already mentioned, if a third party such as Shout or VEI gets a hold of any of CBS's series, then it's pretty much guaranteed that CBS is going to give them whatever prints they have in storage right now. I can't really think of too many classic shows that have been released by Shout or VEI that featured remastering of seasons that hadn't already been released by the show's parent company some time beforehand.

Here's how I see things now, I personally think that CBS/Paramount is pretty much done when it comes to releasing "new" classic TV. The Love Boat release at the beginning of the year might have been a "testing of the waters" (no pun intended) to see how a classic show might sell in today's market, but based on the rather muted response to that release I frankly don't see CBS themselves gambling on anything new any time soon. On top of that, I also believe that the Complete Series sets that CBS has been pumping out over the past two years or so is a last ditch effort to get people (aka the mainstream public) to buy these shows in what many view as the doomsday "final days" of the DVD format. It really wouldn't surprise me if these sets were CBS's "last hurrah" when it comes to releasing Classic TV themselves. I do hope that I'm wrong, but the signs seem to be pointing to this.

Honestly, I think that companies like Shout!, Mill Creek and VEI are the only chance that we have left when it comes to getting these classic shows released. Will these shows feature the same pristine remastering that CBS offered ten years ago? Probably not. But I honestly think the "rather see nothing released" attitude is equivalent to starving yourself in a house full of food. Do I condone the usage of syndicated prints? Absolutely not. I've held off on buying the Barnaby Jones set until either VEI slashes the price down to around $60 or releases a cheaper condensed version. But I would rather know that SOMETHING exists out there for me to get my hands on instead of it rotting away in the film vaults to be forgotten by the ages.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
To echo what others have already mentioned, if a third party such as Shout or VEI gets a hold of any of CBS's series, then it's pretty much guaranteed that CBS is going to give them whatever prints they have in storage right now. I can't really think of too many classic shows that have been released by Shout or VEI that featured remastering of seasons that hadn't already been released by the show's parent company some time beforehand.

Here's how I see things now, I personally think that CBS/Paramount is pretty much done when it comes to releasing "new" classic TV. The Love Boat release at the beginning of the year might have been a "testing of the waters" (no pun intended) to see how a classic show might sell in today's market, but based on the rather muted response to that release I frankly don't see CBS themselves gambling on anything new any time soon. On top of that, I also believe that the Complete Series sets that CBS has been pumping out over the past two years or so is a last ditch effort to get people (aka the mainstream public) to buy these shows in what many view as the doomsday "final days" of the DVD format. It really wouldn't surprise me if these sets were CBS's "last hurrah" when it comes to releasing Classic TV themselves. I do hope that I'm wrong, but the signs seem to be pointing to this.

Honestly, I think that companies like Shout!, Mill Creek and VEI are the only chance that we have left when it comes to getting these classic shows released. Will these shows feature the same pristine remastering that CBS offered ten years ago? Probably not. But I honestly think the "rather see nothing released" attitude is equivalent to starving yourself in a house full of food. Do I condone the usage of syndicated prints? Absolutely not. I've held off on buying the Barnaby Jones set until either VEI slashes the price down to around $60 or releases a cheaper condensed version. But I would rather know that SOMETHING exists out there for me to get my hands on instead of it rotting away in the film vaults to be forgotten by the ages.

I agree with most of what you are saying but I think DVD and Blu Ray still have many years left just probably not mainstream years. One thing with CBS is that they could turn all their classic TV over to their MOD TV service which has had a couple of rare tv show releases this year so the complete series dumps could also be transitioning to that. Also concerning the CBS licensing it depends on what show. Some of those shows that are stalled have remastered seasons listed on the syndication bible so if CBS doesn't release those seasons they could still license remastered seasons that are already done. For example all of Our Miss Brooks and The High Chapperal were remastered. And both have recently turned up on TV packages so that is another reason for them to continue remastering shows..

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I'm hoping that Kino Lorber's recent foray into Vintage American TV (Coronet Blue, Outer Limits (?)) on DVD (and Blu) is a real success for them...considering how active they are in acquiring and releasing feature films, they could become a significant source for Vintage TV collectors...Like Randy, I'm also encouraged by the still new and evolving CBS MOD program (How to Marry a Millionaire, Most Wanted, others)...I hope that something like the rest of One Step Beyond might be a candidate for MOD, among others...I of course hope that CBS continues and finishes everything they've started, Gunsmoke, Hillbillies, Petticoat, etc...and Mill Creek's release of Rockford Files Blu is for me, epic news...I've had very good luck and mostly been satisfied with my VEI sets, Petrocelli is great and I'm very happy with the condensed complete Cannon...Shout Factory continues to surprise and delight me, with what they've released in the last few years and what is rumored to be in their pipeline...The Californians, Peyton Place, Trackdown, more Death Valley Days and hopefully The Defenders...

I think we will continue to receive the rare thrill from WAC...for me, Mr. Novak and The Alaskans...not even going to think about the perennial MIA's...

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I also just wanted to say how much I enjoyed Gunsmoke season 12...I have all of those half season volumes thus far released...and I think we will get Season 13 sometime...hopefully sooner than S12 followed S11...

"Snap Decision" was a very strong season opener..."The Jailer", "The Mission", "Saturday Night", "The Favor", "Goldtakers", "Old Friend"...a lot of great episodes in that season...the same season where Gunsmoke was abortively cancelled...only to find top ten success again in season 13, ironically...the remastered episodes look great in color...

I also gave up on CBS for High Chaparral...I got the R2 release of the complete series...remastered, the old Tucson and Coronado locations look great...good Western with a strong cast...

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I have honestly given up waiting. I am about to do something drastic, and start recording Gunsmoke daily from TV Land.
I don't want to as they are heavily cut, but I really enjoy this show, and I can't wait forever for another season set to be released on DVD.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I'm halfway through season 11. I already have season 12 waiting in the wings . It's amazing how consistently well written this show was. It would be a shame if CBS didn't release the rest of the seasons. Then again you could say that about a number of CBS shows -Beverley Hillbillies comes to mind .

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
I'm halfway through season 11. I already have season 12 waiting in the wings . It's amazing how consistently well written this show was. It would be a shame if CBS didn't release the rest of the seasons. Then again you could say that about a number of CBS shows -Beverley Hillbillies comes to mind .
It's been over 2 years since they announced S1 being released. It popped up in my Facebook memories the other day.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I don't why CBS Mod will release obscure shows like The Californians which probably isn't selling that well but they won't continue Gunsmoke, Bonanza, The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction which all would sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.