What's new

Gunsmoke Season 13 Any Word ? (1 Viewer)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
My guess, because they haven't been remastered yet and prepared for future HD syndication. These titles are high enough on the valued product list to get the best treatment but not high enough to prioritize the remastering ahead of other items. They don't see a need to release without remastering, and they've taken flack when they did for various seasons. Californians, on the other hand, most likely used existing masters, so it was just a matter of authoring to disk.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen The Californians yet but did they use existing master? That is not an issue for DVD but since they also released these on Blu-Ray they would have looked pretty bad if they were old worn masters. HD reveals defects that DVD can hide.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I haven't seen The Californians yet but did they use existing master? That is not an issue for DVD but since they also released these on Blu-Ray they would have looked pretty bad if they were old worn masters. HD reveals defects that DVD can hide.

My mistake, I assumed Californians was similar to other MOD DVD releases based on existing transfers. I did not realize Californians was released on blu-ray, as well as DVD.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
My mistake, I assumed Californians was similar to other MOD DVD releases based on existing transfers. I did not realize Californians was released on blu-ray, as well as DVD.
Yeah I am still curious though. I haven't seen any reviews of the blu rays so I wouldn't think they released it with existing transfers but since this is probably an experiment by CBS it possible they did.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Yeah I am still curious though. I haven't seen any reviews of the blu rays so I wouldn't think they released it with existing transfers but since this is probably an experiment by CBS it possible they did.
I'd lean towards guessing someone paid for HD transfers.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I don't why CBS Mod will release obscure shows like The Californians which probably isn't selling that well but they won't continue Gunsmoke, Bonanza, The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction which all would sell.
It would be nice to have BOTH - continuations of Gunsmoke , Beverley Hillbillies, Petticoat, etc AND series like The Californians and other vintage and obscure shows CBS has the rights to.
With the release of a show like the Californians , I wouldn't want to complain and look a gift horse in the mouth!
I'd buy any fifties /sixties shows that are released . I really enjoy this stuff. And we've had the Californians , and How to Marry A Millionaire , recently , so maybe more releases are being planned .

cannon1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
I just started this season after focusing on seasons 13-20 of the complete collection. The Remastered quality dropped noticeably with this season for some reason. Maybe 12 was done earlier when they didn't have the same standard in place used on 13-20. This would include choice of elements I expect. The opening and closing credits are particularly noticeable. Season 13 by contrast looked great!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.