What's new

Blu-ray Review Guardians of the Galaxy Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sean Bryan said:
Josh,

I don't have it yet, but I have heard that the 3D version does in fact have the variable aspect ratio of the IMAX presentation while the 2D version keeps a constant 2.4:1
My copy just arrived - I popped it into the player to check, and the 3D version does indeed have the IMAX variable aspect ratio. Thanks for the early tip!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
This is not a superhero movie. It's a comic (as in comedy) space opera. The comparisons to Star Wars and Firefly are much more apt.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
SilverWook said:
I have been reading elsewhere that the standalone 2D release looks very different color wise and somewhat darker, nothing like it looked in theaters. Buyer beware?
Any comments on this? That's kind of concerning.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
RJ992 said:
I agree about the Marvel stuff. It's part of the reason Edgar Wright was let go from Ant-Man...and replaced with the director of that cheerleader movie ("Bring it On"?) If you've seen one, you 'vr seen them all. They have a formula, it's paying off, and so they'll stick by it.

While I do remember the comic books (well, at least the raccoon), I'm doing the blind buy based on director James Gunn. I like most of his films and his sensibility, so I'm on board with this one. Comparisons to FIREFLY have been another incentive.
Edgar Wright was let go, but the theory about "a formula" does not really align with the available evidence. Marvel has been doing a really good job of mixing things up within the constraints of their "shared universe". With the possible exception of the Thor movies, they have been finding creative ways to avoid repeating themselves.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Aaron Silverman said:
This is not a superhero movie. It's a comic (as in comedy) space opera. The comparisons to Star Wars and Firefly are much more apt.
Agreed. You could argue Star Wars and Firefly are "superhero" movies ("superhero" not in the modern sense of comic book superhero but in a classic good vs. bad sense), but I'm not going to do that. If you like Firefly, there's a high probability you're going to like Guardians.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched much of the bonus material today and I thought the Dance Off in the Gag Reel was hilarious.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The review materials I was expecting didn't arrive today, so I took the afternoon to watch the movie in 3D (treated myself to an early Christmas present by buying the 3D set and gifting the 2D review copy to a friend's son).

It's MUCH better 3D than I was expecting with several quite prominent forward projections and some scenes greatly enhanced by the use of three dimensions. Yes, it does indeed include the varying aspect ratios mentioned earlier, and I only noticed the screen was changing sizes a couple of times. Most of the time, the transitions from full to wide are smooth and unobtrusive.

For those who are 3D equipped, you won't be sorry to spend a little extra and get this edition.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Matt, I think it's one of the best Marvel 3D conversions out there. Unlike, for example, director Shane Black not being told "Iron Man 3" would be released in 3D until after he finished shooting it, James Gunn knew it was going to be in 3D and was very hands on during the conversion process - I read that he personally approved each shot's conversion. When you have a filmmaker who cares about 3D and is involved in the process, I think it makes a huge difference :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
I'm sure I'll end up giving it a try.

It's not that I don't like the superhero genre. It's just getting old and repetitive with the glut of poorly conceived storylines which has been on the market in the past couple of years. I really enjoyed Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, for example. But I am starting to find most of the Marvel Universe stuff interchangeable...and forgettable.

Based on what you fellas are saying, I think it will be along of the lines of what will work for me--even though I am completely unfamiliar with anything about Guardians of the Galaxy. In other words, I've never even heard of the comic or characters until this film premiered.

Aaron Silverman said:

Okay. So sometimes things take me a while...

I finally found the time this afternoon to sit down with my 24-year-old son and watch Guardians of the Galaxy. We both laughed all the way through and really enjoyed ourselves. His comment as the credits hit (and we stopped laughing about the dancing potted baby Groot) was "well, THAT was different!" :biggrin:

I appreciate everyone encouraging me to give it a try.

It was much better than all the "too serious" cookie-cutter comic book films of late.

I will also be giving Captain America: Winter Soldier (of which there was a preview on this disc) a try sometime as well.

I've got nothing to add that you fellas (and certainly Matt's review) haven't already explained. It was a fun, happy ride. The plot was a bit complicated to follow in terms of who was who and their motivations...but I just decided not to worry about it! :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks