What's new

Blu-ray Review Guardians of the Galaxy Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Adam Gregorich said:
Thanks Matt. I'm really looking forward to next Tuesday as well. To get the 3D version for under $20 is a fantastic deal. I wish some other recent Disney releases had 3D as well.
Absolutely. The Disney arm of the company could learn some valuable lessons from the Marvel side of the aisle, at least about retail offerings.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wonder if the 3D version will include the IMAX variable aspect ratios. Since nothing was announced about that I'm not expecting it, but it sure would be cool.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Mike Frezon said:
It's not that I don't like the superhero genre. It's just getting old and repetitive with the glut of poorly conceived storylines which has been on the market in the past couple of years. I really enjoyed Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, for example. But I am starting to find most of the Marvel Universe stuff interchangeable...and forgettable.
You should give Captain America: The Winter Soldier a view.Guardians was great and tons of fun, and if someone enjoys fun movies I can't see how they wouldn't like it. But in my opinion The Winter Soldier is Marvel Studio's best film to date.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Josh Steinberg said:
I wonder if the 3D version will include the IMAX variable aspect ratios. Since nothing was announced about that I'm not expecting it, but it sure would be cool.
Josh,

I don't have it yet, but I have heard that the 3D version does in fact have the variable aspect ratio of the IMAX presentation while the 2D version keeps a constant 2.4:1

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
It's the most fun space adventure since the original Star Wars. I'm not the only one who thinks so. :)
h4cqdxwn1cyjzyfqbwu5.jpg

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Yet another atmos gone to dtsHDMA 7.1 and another reason why Dolby home atmos should be passed on with expensive AVP AVR and no content to back it all up with. What a waste of money for paperweight AVR and only a few titles.

10509690_10152556920466508_254137461804172601_n.jpg

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I haven't had a good track record with the huge word of mouth movies (The Avengers and The Hangover come to mind). I generally enjoy them, but they never quite live up to all the hype.

Guardians totally lived up to the hype. I realize that Guardians has two huge things going for it -- for starters, it doesn't have the weight of comic book history weighing on it. I haven't read many comic books since my geek heyday in the 80's and 90's, and the last I heard of the Guardians of the Galaxy it was the Vance Astro crew. So they didn't have to live up to any expectations for me. And while it does have links to the Marvel Universe, it's more of a space opera than a comic book movie. There are so many comic book movies these days, and Guardians was able to cut through the clutter by NOT being a comic book movie. The comparisons to Raiders and Star Wars are spot on, with a sprinkle of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic thrown in (I'm convinced Gunn is a brony).

Also, Rocket & Groot. I mean, they're the real deal. I was cynical over the fawning and fan response to the duo (I just assumed it was more marketing than genuine affection), but I totally get it now. Unforgettable characters.

I don't think Guardians is the best movie I've seen all year, but it's definitely my favorite.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I ask because I don't care for 3-D...yet I see that Best Buy (here in the states, Andy) is advertising a 2-D Blu for just $14.99 next week.

I ordered the 3-D Blu on Amazon (after all the pleasant coercion earlier in this thread!) but am heading there to cancel it now.

Plus, at BB the $19.99 3-D Blu of GotG is going to be in a steelbook for anyone who care about those things. The steelbook cover will mimic the audio cassette player cover of the OST CD.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
I ask because I don't care for 3-D...yet I see that Best Buy (here in the states, Andy) is advertising a 2-D Blu for just $14.99 next week.

I ordered the 3-D Blu on Amazon (after all the pleasant coercion earlier in this thread!) but am heading there to cancel it now.

Plus, at BB the $19.99 3-D Blu of GotG is going to be in a steelbook for anyone who care about those things. The steelbook cover will mimic the audio cassette player cover of the OST CD.
But some 3d do have 2d disc in the box least on some boxes they sell they should just make it one box 2D/3d give the 3d disc to a friend or the dog to chew on. :lol: Yeah I saw that Live Tell Remember Repeat or what ever that film was called? http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/336089-livechewrepeat/

Titanic was sold as 2d 3d boxes separately only bought 2D and and its dreadful dire looking. The THX laserdisc eats it.

A few months ago a guy was moaning about Need For Speed no USA 3d yet UK gets 3D but gets screwed by the studio for lame dtsHDMA 5.1 yet USA has 7.1 as it was mixed intended. And the film I only watched once so much for watching multiple times and watched the trailer on youtube for about 600 times. That's more than the running time for the film.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah. The 3-D version definitely includes a 2-D version.

But if I can get a 2-D only version for $5 cheaper...

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Why not wait till the January sale 2015 and get it half price. The Jan sale is only 3 1/2 weeks away.

Some few on ebay selling it under bid for it. Cheeky buggers. Its a new release its not like hello its rare.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, fellas.

I did not realize that the "other formats/versions" display at the top of the page was actually a drop-down menu.

Usually when I do a simple search on amazon for a particular product name, all the different formats show in the results. That wasn't happening here. Amazon, I would suspect, has been changing things up a bit.

I appreciate the help.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Mike Frezon said:
It's not that I don't like the superhero genre. It's just getting old and repetitive with the glut of poorly conceived storylines which has been on the market in the past couple of years. I really enjoyed Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, for example. But I am starting to find most of the Marvel Universe stuff interchangeable...and forgettable.
I agree about the Marvel stuff. It's part of the reason Edgar Wright was let go from Ant-Man...and replaced with the director of that cheerleader movie ("Bring it On"?) If you've seen one, you 'vr seen them all. They have a formula, it's paying off, and so they'll stick by it.

While I do remember the comic books (well, at least the raccoon), I'm doing the blind buy based on director James Gunn. I like most of his films and his sensibility, so I'm on board with this one. Comparisons to FIREFLY have been another incentive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks