GTA3 ban in Australia...how sad...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Morgan Jolley, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

2. JoelH

JoelH Stunt Coordinator

While I understand the desire to establish community guidelines of decency, banning a game from distribution is only going to accomplish two things:

1) Ignore the fact that the manner in which parents bring up their kids has a much greater impact on their lives. A parent should make the decision for their child as to what is acceptable and what isn't.

2) Encourage a kind of "cult" status to the game. Inevitably, it will show up in some form and probably be more popular because of this.

I haven't played GTA3, so I can't comment on it specifically, but I would rather have the citizens of Australia not buy the game, making a stance, than have the government dictate that it is an unacceptable game.

----

Joel

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

4. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Germany does indeed regularly do this. One nice change for them is that because they have a law (very reasonably) against Nazi imagery, all the swastikas in the game are replaced with that stylized eagle thats on the cover. Personally I really like the idea, but then I have a bit of a problem with excessive realism in my fps games. Thats why the multiplayer modes also do this, so Germans can play against the rest of the world without two different sets of client graphics.

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The USA tried to censor games, as was shown in a Chicago ruling that forced arcade owners to put certain arcade games behind a dark curtain in a separate section at least 10' from regular games and require people to show ID to get to those games, but the ruling was overthrown (thank god).

Last year, I had to do a speech on the subject of videogame censorship. I showed a clip from Conker's Bad Fur Day, then thoroughly explained what the ESRB is and why it is in place and how stores are supposed to abide by the age limit ratings games are given if they choose to, which is a good idea. That speech came out to be twice as long as I had hoped.

Nonetheless, censorship of art is not a good thing. Maybe selective advertising could be used, and maybe there could be restricted sales, but an outright ban is just wrong.

Couldn't they just sell it only through a website and not advertise at all? The game has good online word of mouth.

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think we should keep the law out of it as much as possible. Gaming is not done through the government, and neither is film, art, music, etc. Granted, not all games are actual works of art (Kojima said MGS2 wasn't a piece of art, but rather an interactive experience based on the combination of his ideas and what people would want to do in the game, or something like that), but they shouldn't be tooled around by the government. Its my money, so why should they be able to force me to NOT spend it on what I want? I don't mind having to show ID to buy games, and I would like some stores to enforce that so people stop complaining, but if the government makes selling mature games to people under the age of 18, then I will be pissed.

I'm starting a new thread about something Lieberman and some other Senators did because while it is related, I think it deserves its own topic.

8. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

IGN Insider has an article tonight, Gaming Down Under, in which they discuss the GTA3 situation. Here is a snippet of the text which explains the problem: