What's new

grill noise w/ SVS? (1 Viewer)

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I've noticed some noise while finally being able to watch a full movie tonight. Just got done watching Don't Say a Word. At the end credits I went over to the sub and it seems like the grill at the top is making somewhat of a rattling sound. At first I thought it was the walls of a picture, but it's the actual sub itself. Is this normal?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Leif,

This isn't normal at all. If you have the older style grille using the screws with the rubber o-rings...making sure each one is snug against the grille should take care of it. If you have the new style grille using the foam blocks underneath...make sure the grille is completely *seated* on the enclsoure...just press firmly down on it's edges...that should take care of any problem.

TV

Leif Wall

Second Unit
It's the new style grille. It's sealed on tight and flush with the sub itself. It's kind of a distracting noise. Couldn't be from not having calibrated? I can't really mess with my settings at the moment because there is company over right now watching Toy Story.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Lief,

Considering you could be several times over the "legal limit" on bass yes, calibration could help. We sometimes find too that something else in the room, even if you SWEAR it's the grill might be rattling.

The foam blocks are new to SVS, it's possible yours are a tick too short (not pressing up enough). Keep us posted on this and we should be able to send a fix is it's clear the grill isn't being damped like it should be.

Fire us an e-mail and we're likely to catch that quicker than a thread here FWIW.

Ron

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I'm going to try and pick up Avia and the Rat Shack SPL Meter this tuesday. I'll email you guys with my results.

Leif Wall

Second Unit
The problem has been solved. While listening to some music and noticing the problem, I went over to the sub and listened down by the driver. I held down on the baseplate so the sub couldn't vibrate or move around and sure enough it solved the problem. It's a wood floor that is somewhat old. My dad cut out a piece of carpet to put underneath the sub and sure enough, problem solved. Just got done watching Episode 1 and it sounded amazing, the way I thought it would sound. I definitely love my SVS!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks