B&W ASW-600 Subwoofer questions...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Geoff H, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Geoff H

Geoff H Stunt Coordinator

I was watching ROTK, near the end, where Frodo is dangling the ring over the "liquid hot magma" & there's a lot of LFE in the scene, especially when the "heartbeat" starts going -- I noticed a rattling/clicking noise coming from the sub. The next day I ended up playing that scene a half dozen times, the rattle or clicking or crackling seemed less with the grill off but there none the less.

I called the sales person that sold me my kit & he said that he thought the amp might be "pooping out" (The ASW-600 has a 150 watt amp, 10 in driver). mind you, this little sub doesn't have a volume problem, as it rocks the whole house in the aforementioned scenario. Anyways, he suggested I look at the ASW-675 (500 watts, $1k), "Less boomy, faster, tighter", etc.

Any thoughts on the amp idea? anyone have the 675? Other Advice?

BTW, SVS won't pass the WAF.

TIA,

Geoff

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Alright, I've got to be the one to question this. Look at the specs for the PB10, it's just slightly larger than the ASW-675 and has very similar specs in power and frequency response, and it is only half the price of the ASW-675.

Even the PB12-ISD isn't THAT much larger and it costs much less than the ASW-675 with better performance.

I understand if your statement referred to the cylinder subs as those often don't pass WAF, but these boxes aren't much bigger, so I don't see where the WAF would be too much different.

ALso, check out the offerings from Hsu. Those are slightly smaller than most SVS offerings I believe. Perhaps they would rank higher on the WAF scale.

3. Geoff H

Geoff H Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Seth,

I should have mentioned that I use the sub for two-channel listening as well, -- 602 s3 for fronts, sweet. -- Are the suggested subs "musical?".

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The SVSs are just as if not actually more musical than the B&W subs... If you do a search, I believe there was a discussion about the 600 or 675 compared to an SVS. I have a PB-10 and I listen to a lot of music.

Give a look at HSU also, probably the VTF-3 MkII.

Yes, the 602 S3 is a nice speaker [​IMG]

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&highlight=ASW