Great sounding Bookshelf? Ideas, info?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_Hirsch, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Scott_Hirsch

Scott_Hirsch Auditioning

Good evening

I am in the market for some great sounding bookshelf speakers. They will serve 2 purposes. 1) I want really good sounding speakers that serve music well. 2)Within a few months, when more cash becomes available, they will be utilized as rear speakers and I will buy some towers and the system will be 80% movies, 20% music.

I've auditioned Boston Acoustics, Totem. Also want to try B&W, Paradigm. I've also heard some great things about Quad IIL.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Can good sounding music bookself speakers even give good surround envelopment?

Scott

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Scott, what is your budget?

3. Lam Nguyen

Lam Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

Scott,

Might want to give the Paradigm atom, titans a listen.
    The B&W 601 s3, 600 s3 are great as well.
    These are afordable bookshelf that sounds good with music and serves great as surrounds.
    I went with the 600 s3 (Nautilus Tweeter, Kevlar driver) for my surround speaker, they are built with brackets for wall hanging as well. Good Luck.

4. Scott_Hirsch

Scott_Hirsch Auditioning

My budget is around $800 canadian; so what's that, $13 US? In all reality and world economic leverage aside, around $500 US tops.

5. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Which Bostons and what did you think of them? Of all those speakers auditioned, which did you like best and why?

6. JordanS

JordanS Second Unit

I have the B&W DM 601 S3 and I am very happy with the sound. I am running Adcom Seperates with them. The midrange is absolutley amazing-----

I've also demoed the Nautilus 805------and listening to "Comfortably Numb" got me a little teary-eyed on those------just beautiful sound IMO---