How Much Time to Make Speaker Cabinets?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Scott Sabin, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Scott Sabin

Scott Sabin Stunt Coordinator

I'm a complete newb to building speakers, and it's an idea that I'm kicking around. I thought I was ready to buy 7 Energy C5 tower speakers (I will have a FP setup in my basement HT), as my wife likes the looks and the bang-for-the-buck seems to be pretty good. However, once I started reading some of the info about DIY speakers, I realized I could probably get even better sounding speakers for probably less money.

Being experienced in electronics projects, wiring up the drivers, building crossovers, etc, doesn't bother me at all. The cabinet building is what I worry about, and I wonder how long does it take to make a pair of tower cabinets? How about bookshelf cabinets?

Also, do you finish your cabinets before you assemble your speakers, or after?

Thanks in advance. This seems to be a great forum that I will be tuning into regularly.

2. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

I can knock out a pair of cabinets in less than an hour plus overnight glueing time (how many nights of glue drying depends on how many clamps you have). Add veneer, that's another 3 days. Finishing, 1 day to 2 weeks, depending on the finish. So it all depends.

An first-time builder might take most of a day to get the cabinets to the point where he can start finishing.

If you don't want to build the cabinets, I'm sure you could find somebody to do it for you. I'd offer, but it's too dang cold outside right now!

3. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

As a first-timer, building your own speakers will take a very long time. The problem is not the woodworking itself, but the finishing process. Even after you finish, you may never really be content with your results, always second-guessing yourself thinking you might have been able to do better.

Therefore, I suggest you consider the Parts Express pre-finished cabinets before you make a decision to go fully DIY.

This post is made from my very own experience. I like the sound of my DIY speakers (~5 crossover iterations), but I have never really been satisfied with the looks.