Suggestions for completing 5.1 setup?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Cameron Garrett, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Cameron Garrett

Cameron Garrett Auditioning

Jun 11, 2002
    Currently I am running a fairly budget 2.1 setup, consisting of B&W 303 mains and a Sony SA-WM40 sub.. I recently upgraded my old yamaha receiver to a newer Yamaha HTR 5760.. I figure by summer I would like to finish the setup.

Ideally the first thing I would like to buy are new mains + a center, and move the 303's to the rear. Eventually I would upgrade the sub, but right now I don't feel that it's as important. I do love the sound of the 303's, but feel its time to upgrade to something better.

I would like to spend roughly 700-1000 on the mains, and 300-500 on the center channel.. Obviously I will want to audition the big names, but I was just curious what products in general I should look at that are in my general pricerange. I do like the B&W sound a lot, and it would be nice to keep it similar all around.

I am indifferent to whether the mains are floorstanding or bookshelf speakers--I would have to upgrade to nicer stands with a better bookshelf speaker anyway so it might not be worth it anyway. I would use the setup for 80% music and 20% home theater..And it would be nice if the speakers could get loud every once in a while..

anyway, thats the general info.. if anyone has any ideas, comments, or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Dec 17, 2003
    Take a look at the B&W 600 series. The 602's (bookshelf) are ~$300/each list price. You could certainly get a discount off that, but I wouldn't expect too much if you're just buying the pair or the pair with a center.

If you do go with the 600 series, get the LCR600 center instead of the LCR60. It is a very common opinion that the LCR600 is well worth the price difference and it is still within your budget for a center channel.

Also listen to Klipsch. They are very efficient and can get pretty loud with no problem. Some people consider them to be too harsh though.
  3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    I agree with Seth, I'd look at the 602 and LCR600. With that budget, you might even be able to look at the CM series.
  4. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

Aug 28, 2001
    Checkout the B&W 603s3 w/lcr600 both would be 1,500.00 but with a discount you can probably get about 20% off like i did.