What's new

Grave of Fireflies CE (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I have it. It's tremendous. The new transfer is light years ahead of the old one. The extras are quite nice. I enjoyed the 12 minute interview with Roger Ebert.

Jeff

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Jeff, thanks for the info. Now I'm really looking forward to tomorrow!

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
Sounds great! Can't wait to have this movie back in my collection (I sold the old one on eBay).

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
It is very sad, but it is the best movie to lend out
to friends to show that anime is NOT always just a
kids film or just "fan service".

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Hey, what's wrong with fan service?!:D
I have not seen Grave of the Fireflies, but of course have heard wonderful things about it. I am wondering, too, about the rewatch value of this. Kinda' like the silent Passion of Joan of Arc--I gotta' spiritually prepare myself for that one; definitely not the kind of film you pop in to show off your system.

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
I am wondering, too, about the rewatch value of this
I look at this film a lot like "Shindler's List". It can be emotionally draining, but there are so many great little moments that show how beautiful life can be, even admist such horror. And it's not like they're downers all the way through. There are some genuinely funny things that happen in them.

All I know is, I have lent this movie out to about 5 different people (mostly older people with kids) and they (along with their spouse) simply gushed about it. I mean, anytime I mention it, they're like: "Oh my God...that movie was SO GOOD!"

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
This disc is released tomorrow (Tuesday, 10/8/02)?

Hmmm, then a local store here (big chain) was breaking street date by alot because I saw it on the shelves at least two weeks ago (and yes it was this knew version), but didn't realize it hadn't streeted yet.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Would it be safe buy it as a blind purchase? I swear I've asked this before, but I don't remember the answer. Consider this:
1. I have no access to renting it
2. I have no access to renting it
3. I have no access to borrowing it.
4. I've made 5 blind purchases in my life, all of them winners. Can the streak keep going?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Dome,

This film deserved an Academy Award. It was denied even consideration of course, but this IS a BEST PICTURE.

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Sean,

Anime releases for the most part don't have hard street dates, but soft ones. CPM and some other publishers often have their stock for a release date sent out upwards of 2 months prior to release, so some retailers put them out (but not online retailers who go by street dates).

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Dome:

You won't go wrong with this purchase. Just be prepared to be emotionally stunned... you may need lots of Kleenex. I did when I first saw it on IFC 4 years ago. And sure enough, same reaction again a few days ago.

Raphael

Stunt Coordinator
Is this worth a blind purchase?

BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT.

This is a film that _everyone_ needs to watch at least once. Now that there is a good anamorphic transfer available in its original language there is absolutely no good reason not to buy this disc.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Would it be safe buy it as a blind purchase? I swear I've asked this before, but I don't remember the answer.
Well, everyone likes different things. However, I'd think even the most mainstream film fans would like this film. Out of about 500 films I own, I'd put this in my top 10.

It's very sad and depressing, but yet very moving. This is film is definitely worth the risk of a blind purchase in my opinion.

Jeff

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
Dome,

After reviewing your film collection, it would
be a safe blind purchase.
You have both Akira and Deer Hunter, so just think
of it as an animated serious war film.

StevenA

Second Unit
Dome:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!

In case anybody misconstrues those yes's as something lewd, I was just replying to Dome's question: "Would it be safe to buy ("Grave of the Fireflies") as a blind purchase?" :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks