What's new

Grave of Fireflies CE (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The "soft" street date is also known as the "you need us more than we need you street date"

So Suncoast can put discs out months ahead of everyone else without fearing reprisal. No matter how many times I reported them when I was a buyer, they were never punished

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Mirza, great shots, came close to some tears in my eyes. Great movie, don't think I'll get the new CE, like it was said previously, to damn sad.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Just ordered from DeepDiscountDVD.com for $18! love that site...
Will watch again (will be third time) when I get the chance. A new transfer? Anamorphic? I am there, baby! :D
Chris Beveridge, a well known poster on this site and webmaster of animeondvd.com tells us
Grave of the Fireflies is a movie... no, a film, that you cannot watch often. This is something that you keep on your shelf, and you know that it's there. Once every few years, you get the courage and the strength to watch it again. And no matter how many times you've seen it, it has the same effect on you. It tears you down and makes you weep. Not the button pushing feel of Titanic, but the honest to goodness humanity within you feels for this film.
This is the best summary of what this film does so well. Even those who are not prone to emotion will have a tear or two or more from this emotionally draining movie. No punches pulled. Nothing is "softened". Seita and Setsuko will always remain in our hearts and minds - even with just one viewing of this film.
Go and get it. I promise you, you will be moved.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm watching it right now. A blind purchase, btw.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Dome, I also give it a hearty recommendation. A sad but very beautiful film.

Just got done watching the feature (I'll get to the extras later) and just have to say that the transfer was wonderful. Kudos to Central Park Media. That said, I do have one issue with the release. Is anyone else having a problem with the camera icon in the top right corner of the screen? I don't have the storyboard feature activated but I'm still getting that damn icon and can't shut it off.

I've got a Toshiba 3109 if that helps.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Steve Gon,

It's been a couple of years since I had my Tosh 3109. I think if you go into the player setup menu there's an option to turn off onscreen icons, but I'm not sure so don't shoot me if I'm wrong.

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Steve,

I don't have a Toshiba, but it's a menu driven piece that you can change. Look in the setup for angle/icon or on-screen display perhaps, depending on the kind of wording they use.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Thanks, guys. I'll see if that works. Just got done watching the extras which were quite interesting and informative. :emoji_thumbsup:

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
This is perhaps the finest anime film I have ever seen. I've been holding off for Anamorphic, and I couldn't be happier with the presentation. I haven't even looked at disc 2 yet.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I finally freed up time to watch my copy of this (and w/ the girlfriend). Hoo boy, big mistake. We were balling after this movie. I guess I should turn in my "Man Card" but this film is so brutally honest and beautiful, all I can say is "Wow."

If more people saw (and I mean really see, as in try to understand and heed its many messages) films like this I think this world would be a much better place. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

As everyone (and Chris B.) says, I won't be watching this often. I would be too much of an emotional wreck. But I sure am glad to know it's on my shelf and a valued part of my collection. And yes I will be loaning this one out as a showcase of how anime, and animation, transcends being a "kid film" and can be one of the most important films ever made - and I mean that sincerely.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Up with Akira, it is one of the finest anime films ever made (I would even call it one of the best war films even made).
I watch it around twice a year.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Wow, this thread is back.

Oh, I've purchased this film some time back.

Damn powerful stuff. I almost cried.

I said almost. Admittedly, I had to fight it back.

Elvie

Stunt Coordinator
Funny thing ... where and when I bought mine, they were handing out those new "Kleenex soft packs" with the discs. Good idea I thought considering :emoji_thumbsup:
This is one of my favourite "war" films although it is less about war and much more about what it does to the people trying to just survive the duration.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i still haven't watched my copy yet. everytime i look at it i just go, "man...i'm not ready for this right now." ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks