What's new

Graphing calculators - gotta buy one (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
This is for my daughter, who is starting high school in the fall.

I know nothing at all about these devices, I just need (I guess) a basic model. The Texas Instruments TI-83 seems to be the most popular.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
I've never heard of another model besides the TI-83 or TI-83 plus :)
At my school our math classes have about 20 for the students to use and part of my grade 9 math class was all about showing us how to use it - which seems complicated at first, but isn't that bad. I don't personally own one but if I were in the market for one I would choose the Texas Instrument, simply because it's easy to use once you get the hang of it and the school board seems to recommend it.
Just my opinion, which is a bit biased, since I've only used or even heard of the Texas Instrument.
Andrew

Shane Bos

Second Unit
Yeah the TI-83+ is the most popular model and the most common in schools. Actually here you have to have that calculator for high school. Personally I prefer the Casio's though.

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
TI83 is the 'recommended' model, and that is what they teach on, but the TI86 is a better model. It is virtually the same as TI83 and following a class with TI83 instructions would be easy -but the TI86 solves any equation! It can take say x^2/5x-3=2x^3*4x and solve it in a few seconds. Can be more than one variable too. The feature doesn't replace learning how to solve equations, but it can be a GPA saver all through college, especially where solving equations is just the busy work of the problem.

(I still remember to this day, bought a Ti86 about 7 years ago for $89 at local now out of business ServiceMerchandise outlet. It's going for $110-120 now in most office supplies place, the same exact thing, inflation?)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
7 years ago the TI-82 was the most popular for engineering students. The 83 had I believe some extra finance features that we didn't need.

--
H

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I have a TI-83+, and the textbook as well as the provincial government sets the TI-83 as the standard...

Damn, i wish i had that equation solver... that would've proved useful so i didnt have to use my brain unneccesarily. :D

Brian Teal

Grip
If she is going to be getting into calculus anytime soon, I would vote for a TI-89. It even solves simple differential equations. The 86 might have calculus funtions as well, not sure. The 83 is no slacker for most non-calc stuff, though.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Be careful with the TI 89, they are not allowed at many schools. I'd stick with the TI 83+. Most all schools use it and the price has dropped over the last year to the $79. area.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I would recommend getting a calculator that allows you to edit previous calculations. For example, if you calculate:
3 * 4 =
And the next calculation you make is 4 * 4 =
Instead of typing in the entire equation, you just edit the previous equation.

While it sounds stupid for these basic equations for which you don't need a calculator, it helps a ton during more advanced and repititive calculations.

I have the 89 and I can do this, but I'm not sure the 83 can.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
JoeD: By editing, do you mean pressing [2nd] [enter] to bring up the last thing you typed in, then just filling in the number you want changed? IF so, the TI-83 does this

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Can we have a confirmation on this? I remember SATs banned any device with an alphanumeric keyboard.
Mike, the TI-89 does not have an alphanumeric keyboard, I think that is only the calculators in the 90s from TI, so it is allowable on the SATs.

I second the recommendation for the 89 if it allowed in school. As an engineer, this calculator is priceless. For Calculus this calcultor is a must for checking your work. This will be the last graphing calculator you will need to buy.

J

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
although i am heavily biased towards the HP48GX, i wouldnt recommend buying one unless she has used one in the past. the postfix notation is confusing at first, but it is a great calculator. many of the students in my engineering classes used them. and there is a TON of free aftermarket software available at www.hpcalc.org. i'm sure i will receive some negative comments about it, its not the most beginner friendly calc out there. that said, i'd get the ti-89, quite powerful. i just wish HP would issue a new graphing calculator, the 48's ROM is over 10 years old. their calc business is in the dumps now, since starting the whole thing many years ago.

CJ

HienN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hien
I got hooked on HP's RPN system since college, and just cannot bring myself to use TI's algebraic entry system. That said, HP's calculator is in terrible shape and they have made little improvement since the 32S which is now obsolete. The last few years have been filled with garbage like the HP6S, 9S and 30S; they were like toy calculators you find at the discount rack at the cashier's line :thumbsdown:

The whole thing is sad since HP once had such a thriving business and a loyal following of their calculators. I see on their web site that they will launch "powerful new offerings" later this year. We'll see.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Nick,
I mean actually being able to scroll up through the calculations, for example the 89 keeps 30 calculations in its bank. So if you are doing a repeat of a long calculation you recenlty did, scroll up and edit it.

David_Moechnig

Stunt Coordinator
I'll secon the HP graphing calculators, I bought one when I went to college in 99, it is now my trusty companion. The newest HP-49 can be used in RPN and the standard algebraic input mode (I prefer RPN- much more powerful)

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
When I went through engineering 10 yrs ago I got a TI-85, liked it alot, still have it. Lots of friends had the HP48's as well. Either would be a good choice.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I'd get an 86 or an 89, but would lean towards the 89. Teh 83 will be outgrown quickly. I have an 85 from 10 years ago and it still works great! All my friends bought 82s or 83s and had to buy an 85 the next year.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Not to get off on a rant here but - What do you really need a graphing calculator for anyway? I just don't get it. I recently completed a Masters in Chemical Engineering, with a very math-heavy courseload, and the only calculator I ever used was a very simple non-graphing Casio. Not to brag but I did pretty well, too. All my friends used graphing calculators but I can tell you it didn't really seem to give them any advantage.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks