What's new

Graphing calculators - gotta buy one (1 Viewer)

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Mark, some colleges teach that "new math" method where you aren't really taught how to do it by hand, you're only taught how to use a calculator. Or something like that. But in those classes, you must have a calculator.

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
I just graduated HS so I'll throw my two cents in. If you plan on her taking calculus the go with the TI-89, it's a must have. I personal had an 86 before I lost it (or maybe it got stolen) and liked it a lot but sometime a big problem is that when you are in class and the teacher is going over new ways to use the calculator she will likely be doing it on 83 (until you get to the last part of pre-cal or you are in calculus). Since the functions are different I sometime had to use the classroom set of 83's until I could figure out how to do it on an 86. But one good thing was that at least with an 89 some teachers were some what familiar with it so they could help you out a little. That's not going to be the case with the 86, so I would not recommend it for a beginner. The whole thing about the teacher teaching with an 83 while you are using a different calculator is a huge factor. When I was in statistics this past year there was time when you had no choice but to use an 83. Because our book was based off the 83 and all those crazy stat related function could not be found on an 86 or 89. But, if you can check with some of the math teachers at the school to see if they use both the 83 at the lower level (Alg I, Geom, Alg II) and the 89 at the higher level (Pre Cal and up). They may be able to use and teach both.

Also do you know if the teachers still have classroom sets for certain calculators? We always had a classroom set so I could jump back to an 83 if I had to. At my school the system was algebra I (TI-83), Geometry (TI-83 Plus and some time TI-92 Plus), Alg II (TI-83 Plus), Pre-Cal (TI-83 Plus and at the very end of the course they got us a little familiar with TI-89) and Calculus (No calculators and TI-89).

try this site also http://www.ticalc.org/basics/calculators/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks