What's new

Grammar police... (1 Viewer)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Maybe the thread should be re-titled Grammar/Pronunciation Police, because the word nuclear, when spelled, works for both those that pronounce it new-key-ler, and those that pronounce it new-klee-ar

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I usually know what people are talking about then they mispronounce things or use the incorrect word (ran vs run, there, their, they're, etc...) and I don't feel like burning calories trying to correct someone who isn't committed to correcting themselves is a valuable use of my time so I just let it go.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It's pointless to try and correct pronunciation, as most people either don't care or it's so ingrained in their brain that they apparently cannot change. My father has many words he mispronounces...

He's also one of those people that add unnecessary S's to things, usually to names of stores he's visited (I went to Walmarts today. I also stopped at Hannafords to get some bananas.). Makes me crazy. :huh:

But isn't he basically right there? In English, as I used to understand, you say "I'm off to Fortnum & Macy's, dear".
As in "Fortnum & Macy's place". At least, that's what I think I learned in school: English is not my first language, as you may know.

Cees

Last edited:

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
But isn't he basically right there? In English, as I used to understand, you say "I'm off to Fortnum & Macy's, dear".
As in "Fortnum & Macy's place". At least, that's what I think I learned in school: English is not my first language, as you may know.

Cees

Cees, you probably know English more than we do. The Dutch are really good at that.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Cees
Hi Cee's!

I totally get your confusion.

The best way that I can explain it is that "Macy's" is the actual store name, in this case. However, in English at least, the apostrophe plural ('s) isn't normally added to a store name that doesn't already have it (IE. Wal-Mart) within their original name, if that makes any sense?

I hope this helps to clear things up!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
So, have you slept yet Stan?
Did finally fall asleep, probably around the 70 hour mark. Hopefully won't experience it again for a few months.

Still no idea why it happens, no more stress or anything unusual than any other day, but it's gone now and back to a regular schedule.

Then again, possibly the fact that my doctor prescribed a truckload of pain meds for the weird sciatica problem, they probably contributed to helping my sleep.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This subject is near and dear to me as proper pronunciation is part of my everyday work. There is soooo much stuff that I hear all the time...

I could write a book.

Also happens with trying to pronounce foreign words, but a little easier to let those go. Studied French for several years, so maybe a bit snobby, but I pick up on a lot of these errors.

THIS. Near my work, a popular chain place for coffee or a snack is named "Au Bon Pain." I took four years of high school Spanish so, French words are especially tough for me to say correctly. In fact my wife ALWAYS corrects my French pronunciations. She seems to delight in that, in fact! :D

But, who was it in marketing who thought that a French name was a good idea for this cafe? I'd fire their ass! Because as much as I worry about saying it wrong, not very many others know what's right either. In fact, it almost always ends up being part of the conversation about something simple like "I'm going to get a coffee."

So, have you slept yet Stan?

And THAT is the important sub-plot of this thread...

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
In fact, it almost always ends up being part of the conversation about something simple like "I'm going to get a coffee."

Sounds like they have achieved a certain brand awareness, so maybe the French name is working for them. Just a thought. :)

While my insomnia isn't in the 70 hour range, I can commiserate. I've had the damnedest sleep routines most of my entire life. I'm usually riding the 'sleep rollercoaster' as I call it. Not much sleep one day translates into better sleep the next day which means the following day I can't sleep. Repeat, etc. etc. Good times.

- Walter.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Cees

Adding an extraneous 's' to the end of a store name in American English is a really old-fashioned thing. My grandparents' generation tended to do that. People who do it today and are under the age of 75 would seem odd to most folks, at least in urban areas.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Did finally fall asleep, probably around the 70 hour mark. Hopefully won't experience it again for a few months.

Still no idea why it happens, no more stress or anything unusual than any other day, but it's gone now and back to a regular schedule.

Then again, possibly the fact that my doctor prescribed a truckload of pain meds for the weird sciatica problem, they probably contributed to helping my sleep.
Glad to hear it, Stan. I have my own battles with insomnia, so I can definitely empathize. Fortunately, Ambien does work well for me.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
What about turning "of" into the auxiliary verb "have?"
Should "of" instead of Should "have."
Would "of" instead of Would "have."
I assume the confusion derives from the pronunciation of the contraction "would've," "should've," which sounds like wouldof, shouldof.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Glad to hear it, Stan. I have my own battles with insomnia, so I can definitely empathize. Fortunately, Ambien does work well for me.

Adam, Ambien definitely works, way to well for me. Be careful with it.o

I ended up with various periods of amnesia before I figured out what was happening and haven't taken it since. Worst one was when I drove my car about seven miles, went grocery shopping, bumped somebody in the parking lot and drove home. Next day a policeman came by my home, I got a ticket for hit & run, unattended vehicle, but have no memory of the incident.

Turned out being tossed because the woman whose vehicle I bumped was trying to scam my insurance company, so I got lucky.

Good old human greed, didn't work out to well for this woman.

Off-topic I know, but hey, I started the thread, if it goes off on a tangent, that's life :rolleyes:

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk

I ended up with various periods of amnesia before I figured out what was happening and haven't taken it since. Worst one was when I drove my car about seven miles, went grocery shopping, bumped somebody in the parking lot and drove home. Next day a policeman came by my home, I got a ticket for hit & run, unattended vehicle, but have no memory of the incident.

Turned out being tossed because the woman whose vehicle I bumped was trying to scam my insurance company, so I got lucky.

Off-topic I know, but hey, I started the thread, if it goes off on a tangent, that's life :rolleyes:

I had no idea that drug's affects went to that extent. Unbelievable.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If you're prone to or have a history of sleepwalking, Ambien (and similar nonbenzodiazepines) are not for you. For me, taking the half dose one or two nights a week keeps me functioning. The only time I ever had a problem was when I made the mistake of taking an Ambien after having an alcoholic beverage. There's a whole night that's just gone.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk

I'm interested to know if you went through the whole thing of grocery shopping, filling a cart and paying for it? And no memory at all of any of it?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'm interested to know if you went through the whole thing of grocery shopping, filling a cart and paying for it? And no memory at all of any of it?

It was at a store I've shopped at for 20+ years, they know me. Plus the way it's designed, you would have to walk past several employees, with a full shopping cart, nothing in grocery bags, so doubtful I walked out without paying.

As I said, no memory of it until the policeman showed up the next day. The whole thing is very scary. That's why I haven't taken Ambien since. If I have sleep problems, I'll take a small dose of Xanax. It knocks me out, get a good nights' sleep and I stay home, in bed. No driving, cleaning, etc. ;)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Sorry to belabor this, but I'm gobsmacked. I had a thought about this, so you were not really unconscious or asleep, yet not awake either! An in-between nether world of functionality. Yes, very scary.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I once had a coworker who pronounced rendezvous "ren" instead of "rawn", although he'd correctly pronounce the rest of the word, and just mangle the first syllable!

On a humorous note, it was around this time that Elton John had a song on the radio that included a "Me and you rendezvous" line, and the coworker's mangled pronunciation always immediately sprang to mind whenever it played! :D

I just thought that I'd share that, and yes Mike, I am talking to myself again! ;)

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks