What's new

Grammar help (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I've helped a few people with their grammar, now I need some help.

I'm a bit confused as to when to use the subjective pronoun + present participle (him winning) and the possesive adjective + present participle (his winning).

~T

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
If you are looking for examples, you would use you winning as in Are you winning?
Your winning would be used as in What is your winning if your horse comes in first? (Your winning meaning what is your share of the prize money? This would normally be said, however as What are your winnings?)
Yet another way to use a version of you winning (you're winning) would be You're winning the game so far.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The possessive adjective is used in conjuction with a present participle to substitute for a noun, as in "His winning would mean my losing." In this sentence, "his winning" is the subject (noun) of the sentence.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I'll provide an example to show my confusion:

1. I admire him finishing the race.
2. I admire his finishing the race.

Is only one of them correct? Or is there a difference?

~T

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I believe number 2 is correct, if I understand what it is you're trying to say. I don't believe number 1 would be correct except as a shortened (and substandard) version of Tom's rephrasing above.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I was reading the Insomnia thread and came across this sentence: Something about it being hard for the brain to picture large scenery and that results in you falling asleep quicker.

Just to make sure I've understood this correctly, the "you" should be changed to "your." Right?

~T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks