What's new

GR Research AV-3 or AV-1 and sub (1 Viewer)

eric_kl

Grip
Which would you choose for the same money? Will be used primarily for music, but some HT. Room size is approx 18'X 20' with 10' ceilings. Reference levels are not necessary.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
What sub are you going to build for the $100 price difference between the AV1 and AV3?
I'd go like Matrice did. AV1+ with a sub ;)

eric_kl

Grip
The prices are finished speakers, not kit prices. Also, I'm not sure my receiver (Denon 1802) would like the 4 ohm load of the AV-1+.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Are you getting these from Acoustic Visions? It would be cheaper going through Danny at GR, and he'll even test the speakers before shipping them out. Although he doesn't offer a sub as of yet.

Brian

eric_kl

Grip
No, I will be getting them from Danny. Danny said that he would build me a sub with either a 10" woofer or the 12" shiva driver if I decide to go that route.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Oh, OK! I'd get the A/V-1+ and a sub. Is there any specific 10" driver that you're thinking of for sub duty?

Brian

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Go with the AV1 or 1+ with a separate subwoofer. Much more versatile in placing the sub for optimum bass response.

Brian, you have a PM.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I thought I'd jump back in here and clear up a misunderstanding. When I said that Danny would test the speakers before sending them out, I was not trying to imply that Kyle doesn't do the same thing. It's just that Danny actually measures the frequency response of the speakers to make sure that nothing looks strange. AFAIK, Kyle doesn't do this. Nor do I. And no one in their right mind would assemble a pair of speakers and not hook them up to make sure they work before shipping them out. I didn't mean to imply that Kyle did or would.

I apologize if I gave anyone the wrong impression. I was posting quickly during a lunch break and didn't clarify myself.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Brian

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Here's what I do with my AV-3s...
When I listen to music I turn off the sub and set AV-3s to full range. For loud music sessions I'll maybe add my sub and set speakers to small. The crossover on my subwoofer plate amp is set to 40hz.
For movies I set speakers to small and use my tempest for the rest of the bass.
My primary reason for not using a sub during music is that I can localize bass when I use a "single" separate sub in the corner. Even with the crossover at 40hz, the sound stage of where the kick drum shifts to the side of where the sub is. However, when I use the AV-3s set to large I get a nice stage which includes placement and more detail in bass.
I have not tested with the 2 subs yet because it'll be a week before I start tuning with placement and decide to use them for music.
I painted my AV-3s and they look amazing. I am however using the 1" long ports for the time being until I get the 4" ones so there is a slight mid bass hump and loss of deeper bass. (I tested port lengths and response :))
Link
Take it from me (as I'm listening to them) that the AV-3s for music don't need a sub. If you want home theater reference extension down deep I'd get AV-1+ & sub. I think that the AV-3 set to full range wins for music.

Martice

Screenwriter
I use my AV1+'s crossed over at 60hz with my sub on all of the time. I really thought that I'd never be happy with a sub for music but after a little extra effort with calibration, EQing and speaker placement I honestly feel that I have the best of both worlds being the speaker placement flexibility and the ability to place my sub in the corner and EQ it for optimal performance. With full range speakers, proper placement may not be possible and EQing the low end on your speaker may not be the way to go.

Go with the AV1+ and the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks