What's new

Got my J VC PD-42WX84 Sunday! (1 Viewer)

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
:D I'm very very happy with this TV. Everything that should be included is there. Considering most other plasmas are sold WITHOUT: stand, speakers, NTSC tuner, connection box. Everything is there. I just plugged the cable line in and sat back and enjoyed "regular" TV. Some channels just plain suck, but most look better, way better. I watch the Speed Channel all the time, and it looks excellent. I do have some questions:

[1] The Matrix Reloaded DVD has an overall greenish appearance to it. Is this normal?

[2]I've tested several widescreen DVDs (all through a Sony progressive changer) and NONE of them fill in the screen entirely. There's always a black area at the top and bottom. How do the movie theaters do it? I know there are many aspect ratios that movie producers/directors use, but I don't recall seeing black bars in the theater.

I'm looking for a HD tuner and an antenna to get OTA broadcasts. Any recommendation?

Thanks!

John S

Senior HTF Member
There are many that will fill your screen.

2.33:1 is wider than 16:9

16:9 ends up being close to 1.78:1 My Exorcist DVD for one, I remarked on the ratio, the box said it represented the original aspect ratio too. :)

But even in the stores when they are feeding 2.35:1 have the bars on their widescreen sets.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I have the same display unit....nice ain't it :) The bars are pretty small compared to watching widescreen movies on a 4:3 set and I've found I don't even notice them any longer. I upgraded (such as it is) my standard cable to the digital cable offering and find it much better on all channels.....the ones above 100 are really sharp. Haven't had a change to watch the Martix movies yet but I've heard that they're tinted a tad.

Best bet on a tuner would be one of the LG/Sony/Zenith (all the same innards) boxes. They'll accept Direct TV, cable and OTA signals and allow you to output via component cables or DVI directly into the media box. Can't get OTA signals where I live or I'd have one :frowning:

Mort

nick_rh

Stunt Coordinator

Everything that takes place inside the Matrix (in all 3 films) is green-tinted (to intentionally give it a duller, less lifelike, more computerish look).

Bill Will

Screenwriter
How would you say this model compares with the Ecost JVC Model GM-V4206 for $2,489.95 & what price range are we talking about for your JVC model?

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies.
Mort: you were the one who turned me on to this TV. :) I was looking at other brands but found the price to be unappealing (Fujitsu, Pioneer, and Panasonic). Not only is the hardware excellent but the esthetics is great also.

Bill Will: I'm not familiar with the model you listed. I went to ecost and searched for JVC plasma, there's one listed with the exact price you mentioned but different model. For info on mine, go to thegoodguys.com and search for JVC PD-42WX84, all the specs are there.

Good luck in your search,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks