What's new

Got my 2ES yesterday!!! (1 Viewer)

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Mark, I see you're running JBL's. How do you like them?
I like them a lot. The bass on the S36 is a little lacking at the low end but I knew that when I bought them. My plan has always been to move the 36's to the back when I move into a place with more room and get something full range for the fronts. I think I will stick with my plan and not get any new speakers right now. I think I will probably get more out of a reciever upgrade.

I wouldn't say the difference between the 36's & 38's is like night and day but the 38's are better. I am going mostly off research on this as I have only listened to the 38's at best buy for a little bit. If you have the room I would probably go with the 38's but the 36s are quite a bit smaller, especially in depth, and are easily wall mounted.

Mark

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Congrats on your 4ES purchase. Enjoy. :)

I just got my Sony STRDA777ES receiver back from warranty service for the second time. First time was caused by a short which resulted in flames. Yes, really!!! The second time, they had to replace a couple of fuses. As the three year warranty will soon be ending (three years in Canada, five in the US for ES components :frowning: ), I spent about US$100 extending the warranty for another 24 months....just in case that it falters. BTW, I still luv my Sony ES receiver.

Dave

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to resuscitate the thread, but I thought Bob K. might want to read this:

You inspired me to conduct an A/B test w/ the 2 and 4ES this past weekend (OK, so I was bored). Well, again, I have to report that the sonic difference between the 2 units--comparing 2-channel CD, using both analog and digital connections--was very slight. The 4 has a touch more oomph to it, but other than that I'm not certain that I'd be able to distinguish them, blinded, in every case.

Enjoy. :D

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Angelo,

This is the usual routine...there is so little sonic difference, that many of us have a hard time really discerning what is different (better/worse) etc...

The 4ES to me sounds really great with my speakers (Dahlquist QX10's), If you tried different speakers you most likely will hear greater differences than just by a similiar amp/ and or receiver swap. Thats good!

Can save you tons of money.

I tired a couple of high end seperates amps, PS Audio 200c and a Adcom and frankly could not really tell that much if anything at all that would make me part with the $$$$ and the dollars for another set of interconnects etc...

Alex

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
Thanks Angelo! I did months of research on this forum to decide on a new setup. I finally decided that the 2ES best matched my needs and price range (90%HT/10%Music for ~450 dollars). Also, I upgraded my speakers to Energy Take 5.2's BEFORE buying a new receiver and I felt that the 2ES was a perfect partner for the takes.

I probably wouldn't have noticed $250 worth of difference by getting the 4ES.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
So bob, now that you have had it a little longer can you say if you have noticed any improvement in music between the 2ES and the -475?

Thanks!

Mark

RobM

Auditioning
Just got my 4ES a week ago and I am looking forwarding to setting it up as soon as my basement is finished in a couple of weeks.

It seems that people who own either the 2ES or 4ES have nothing but praise for them.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
I was disappointed when my 2ES(1080) shutdown when it was only driving the rears and center (all 8 Ohm and crossed over at 80Hz) but it was at a ridiculously loud level and I don't normally use it that way. As a prepro, I love it (except for the lack of component video switching :angry:)

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
Mark,
I am actually listening to a cd right now, and it sounds way better than the de475. So much better that I can't believe it! I am a believer in listening to two channel audio through two speakers, but I played with the DPLII music setting as well as the NEO6 music setting and they sounded great! The NEO was much better than the pro logic II for music IMO. Anyway I went back to AFD mode which auto-detects that my cd should be 2 channel.

I am loving this thing! Best 420 dollars ever! ( Thanks to Jim at Oade.com)

Craig,
Is it just the 1080 over there that has no component video switching? My 2ES has component switching, didn't know if you knew that. I assume you did. ( I know nothing about the overseas versions of sony receivers)

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Yeah, the 1080 is stripped down from the 2ES (and our version of the 4ES is gutted) hence the :angry:
A LOT of companies do this to non-Nth American models :frowning: but Sony is probably the worst :angry: :angry: :angry:

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
Mark,
I actually have it hooked up both ways and I can't tell the difference. I have switched back and forth during a song and I could tell no difference. So I run it digitally (using the 2es's dac). I chose to run it digitally because the receiver will be on the dvd input (I use my dvp-ns715p as my cd player) and I can control the receiver and player with the same remote. Also I understand from earlier posts in this thread, that since I am using my receivers EQ that I should use the digital out to avoid another generation of da/ad conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks