Good sounding cheap receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Hawke, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Ryan Hawke

Ryan Hawke Agent

I am looking for an in expensive no frills receiver that can deliver good sound. My only requirements are DD/dts 5.1. I would like to have DPL2, but I don't expect it. I will buy new or used, doesn't really matter to me. I'm basically looking for a well built receiver that can put decent power out. Maybe an older Onkyo, Denon, or HK? I don't know model numbers of good old ones, so those would help. I would like it to have a good built in DAC because I plan on using it for music too. My speakers are fairly inefficient, so a somewhat powerful amp would be nice. I'd like to keep the price around $350. I won't be buying this RIGHT now, so specific ads will not be needed, I just need a general idea. Thanks for all replies!

--Ryan

2. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Ryan, you could pick up a H/K 320 for that price new!! and I'd say thats a GREAT reciever, DD, DTS-ES, Logic7 DPL2 and much much more. Do a search for it.

Craig

3. Steve-sas

Steve-sas Agent

Denon 1802/882 can be had for $375 - $400 delivered from several sources.

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    You could find a Yamaha RXV620 for that price. This receiver will have more power and features than its Denon/onkyo/marantz competitors at this price point.

5. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

The Denon 1802 and Yammy 620 are the best quality buys now in that price range. You cannot touch the H/K 320 for $350...Hell you can barely touch the 310...but I did. [​IMG]
    Also the Marantz 4200 is floating around out there but it has no 5.1 inputs...but does have 5.1 pre-outs. Go figure.

6. Jeff Hipps

Jeff Hipps Stunt Coordinator

At the risk of sounding like a commercial, the Sherwood RD-7106 should still be available at Fry's for about half of your budget.

Jeff

7. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

Onkyo 600 from J&R (when it comes out in a month or so).

8. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

i second the yamaha rx-v620/630...should be plenty of power for ya

9. Ryan Hawke

Ryan Hawke Agent

Thanks for all the replies! I'm definitely going to look into the Yamaha a little more, although (kind of arbitrary) I don't like the look of the panel that hangs down in the middle. I'll have to see one in person to verify those feelings though [​IMG] I will also have to look into the Denon a little more, it sounds like a possibility. I know this sounds dumb, but I don't normally like buying the "bottom of the line" product from any company, so I'll have to do some serious investigating. The Onkyo sounds like a possibility (I do have time on my side), but I don't really care for the looks of them (I like the Denons though). I would love to see the HK 320 at that price, but I don't think thats going to happen, unless I get a job at Best Buy this summer or something (thinking...). I don't know of anywhere that would have the Sherwood in question, so I don't know about that one. I want something that is built well enough to deliver me years and years of service, like the Marantz 2325 I am using which my dad has had since the '70s. Thanks again for all the comments, keep them coming!
    --Ryan

10. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

The Onkyo 595 is a good receiver for under $400.00 from J&R. I have a friend who has one with JBL bookshelf's and it sounds pretty darn good in his HT.