What's new

Good DTS Receiver for under $400 ???? (1 Viewer)

Pat K

Stunt Coordinator
Im looking for a good, DTS receiver for under $400, hopefully at least around 70w per channel. Also, wheres a good online store to buy stuff like that cheap? Thanks

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
The yamaha rx-v430 features DTS, dolby digital, and the 6.1 matrixed version of the two as well as 75wpc. It retails for about $300. You may want to buy the rx-v530 if you want s-video and component switching. Note: these receivers do not feature a/b speaker switching, I needed this so I went with an oler yamaha. If you don't, then by all means go for these new ones.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll second the 4200, and the 5200 would be even better. I personally feel Marantz has the best sound for music, and HT is an added benefit. :D
The Kenwoods are THX SELECT, which is not the same as THX CERTIFIED. I would not go with one of these, but that is just me.
I've listened to the Onkyos and the 595 is quite a performer (discontinued, to be replaced with the 600). I would put them above the Kenwoods in terms of power and sound. I believe most of their current models are THX select also.
Denon is very good also, but I auditioned them and Marantz, and chose Marantz.

Tim Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
If all you care about is DD/dts and not the newer formats, you should seriously consider buying used. You could get a MUCH higher quality receiver for the money from someone who is bitten by the upgrade bug.

PaulW

Stunt Coordinator
how would the Pioneer Elite VSC33TX fit into this mix? Or the Pioneer Elite's in general?

PaulW

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Jason: I picked up a RX-V530 this past weekend! I love it!

If you don't need the A/B speaker function this unit is a great value! For more details there is a thread already going for the RX-V530.

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
I paid $375 for the Denon 1802, which has 80watts of full bandwidth power, Prologic II, DD, and DTS.

I'm very happy with it.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
John Garcia,
You said:
The Kenwoods are THX SELECT, which is not the same as THX CERTIFIED. I would not go with one of these, but that is just me.
Methinks you are mistaken. Select and Ultra are forms of THX certification. The most accurate way to describe the Kenwood 510 would be to call it THX Select Certified. I took the following information directly from the THX website:
Manufacturer: Kenwood
Category: Receiver
Model: VR-510
Region: USA
Special Notes: Dolby Digital/DTS
Type: Select
Perhaps you were refering to something else? If not then I am interested in the differences.
However, oddly enough, the Kenwood 510 has had some issues with Dolby Digital audio dropouts of a few titles just like some of the Onkyo models have. This only pertains to the 510 however. The rest of Kenwoods line seems to be uneffected.
Regards,
Dan Hine

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
I would have to 2nd or 3rd the Yamaha 530. Take everybody’s opinion here lightly, including mine. For someone to say look at "this" low end line, but don't look at "those" low end lines is crazy. For $400 you are going to be buying in about any manufactures low end line. I looked for the system that had the features I liked and the dealer that carried that model with the speakers I liked.

After reading all the posts about audio dropouts in Pearl Harbor, Jurassic Park 3 and Atlantis, I wanted the latest decoding chip. The new Yamaha line does 6.1 matrix ES/EX, a feature I was looking for that is why I bought it. I also looked at Denon, Marantz, Kenwood, Pioneer, and Onkyo. I doubt anybody has hooked up all the receivers to the exact same speakers so it's hard to get an exact comparison. Look for the features you want at the price you want and the location you want to buy from. As much as I researched internet pricing, I just couldn't bring myself to ordering a system from the internet. I wanted the option of listening to it and returning it with no hassle.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dan,

A small calrification - "Select" meaning certified for using in a small room, such as in the typical Home Theater. My beef is that people say THX certified, but there is a difference between Ultra and Select, and that may be misleading, since there are the TWO classifications now.

I have never really been a fan of Kenwood, but hold no malice towards them. However, I have read a few posts on here that have unequivocly stated that the 5xx series of Kenwoods do not have the best amps in the $400 price range, though I have not personally listened to them. I am also not a fan of the Yamaha "sound" that basically all previous generations, lower end models seem to have. I have listened to the Onkyo, Marantz and Denon offerings in this price range and liked them all.

Alexis

Stunt Coordinator
Denon's seem to be the best compromise of features and performance. I have the 1602 and am happy with everything except for its scarcity of digital inputs. The performance otherwise is pretty good.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Breck,
With all due respect I think you either weren't listening to a 4802 or you weren't listening to a Kenwood 510. The price difference is really somewhere around $1800ish, not $800. But I will not tell you that what you liked was wrong. If you liked the 510 then :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Something for everyone to keep in mind when auditioning receivers is to keep in mind what speakers you'll be powering with it. As an (extreme) example:
If you audition a receiver with Martin Logan speakers something like Kenwood's 510 might sound strained. Conversely, use the same receiver with Klipsch speakers and you should have more than enough power. As always it's best to arrange for an in home trial or make sure you have a good return policy from your dealer.
Regards,
Dan Hine

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
If you listened for yourself, and I think you would be too.
I happen to be a Kenwood dealer. :D I do like Kenwood a lot. And the 510 does offer a lot for the $$. But if I were installing a large size theater then the added power and lower distortion of the 4802 would be more appealing to me...as well as the built in amp for rear channels.
But yes, I do agree that the Kenwood 510 is a solid performer, DD dropouts aside.
Dan Hine

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
You might try looking into JVCs stuff. I bought the 9010 for $299 online at etronics. 120x2 in stereo, 100x5 in surround. However, it doesn't have DPLII. Other than that it's great.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I bought my daughter the JVC 9010 & she loves it especially because it has a front audio computer input if that's of intrest to you & an RF Remote Control that even works from outside for her & for the price it has more inputs than any other Receiver under $500

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks