What's new

Gold Series (1 Viewer)

Cave Canem

Auditioning
Hello HTF people. I just found your forum last week and have most of my questions answered already. I only have one left.

I originally had a Monster 300 BASS cable for my woofer but took it back b/c I figured $40 for a cable was a little rediculous. So anyway after reading here I noticed a lot of you recommended cables from Radio shack so went to investigate. I ended up buying a basic 12' shielded cable for my woofer($3.99). Im not real up to speed on HT cableing so I asked the guy (probably bad huh?) if it would work and he told me sure. I was going to get the Gold series but opted for the cheaper cable since im already in the dog house with the wife for buying the woofer in the first place.

Is there that much difference in sound from the cheapo basic to the gold series?

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The audible differences between cables are a point of debate. The Gold series has better construction & grabs the connector more tightly. Listen to both and decide. Another option would be a coax cable... (you'd need RCA to f-type connector converters).

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Is there that much difference in sound from the cheapo basic to the gold series?
Based on my experience, the "gold series" are better cables when connecting subwoofers. I was using a regular cable and noticed a lot of hum at lower volumes. Switching to one of the gold series cables cleared the hum up. I suspect the better insulation on the gold series cable is what resolved my issue. I've been running 40' of gold series cable to my sub for over a year -- and it has been great. 40' of Monster cable runs how much? 40' of "gold" was only $23.00 (1 20' cable separated then joined together via a "gold series" coupler).

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
According to the AVIA HT Setup disk, "millions of HT owners can use 16 guage eletrical cord for their speakers" - all the other "special cords are mostly hype and sold by snake oil salesmen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks