What's new

Going to see Conan O'Brien (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Can't wait, it's this Friday and Martin Sheen is going to be on. Don't care too much for him but rather the skits and stupid faces Conan makes. :)
Anyone else see him live-- are there tips you guys can give before I go? I'm going with 4 friends leaving from the DC area at around 7-8am on Friday morning, then we park in Staten Island and take the Manhattan ferry to save parking fees. Plan to get at the hotel (Marriots Marquis) at around 2-3pm to drop our stuff then hope to be in line by the 4:15 deadline. Hopefully this sounds like we'll get there in time.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
After the crowd dies down at the beginning for his appearance, start a "Conan" chant with your friends and try to get everyone else involved. That'd be cool.

~T

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Haha! I might try and get my friends to do that with me. If you hear the Conan chanting you know it was Thi's doing!

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
LOL. I think it'd be better if you try a different chant that would provoke a reaction from Conan, like "Conan is sexy. Conan is sexy. Conan is sexy..."

~T

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
Don't flirt with the time deadline too much, 'cause if you aren't there they won't hesitate to let people without tickets in to fill all the seats.

With any luck, maybe Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will pay a vist on Friday (they're gonna be on SNL on Saturday). Also, from what I hear, you're gonna be surprised at how small the studio actually is...

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Grame, like a matchbox? :)
Seriously, everything looks bigger on TV, check out some decorating shows on HGTV, they do rooms and say they're like 11' x 13', and they look enormous.
I went to a taping of a Swedish talkshow, and the studio was TINY. It felt like we were sitting up on the stage almost. Then when I saw the broadcast, the set looked MUCH bigger, even bigger than what Conan's set looks like. So I imagine it's really small...

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Well I had fun and was actually on TV during the "Or Am I?" kit. It was out in the audience and a couple of friends and I were in the shot for a minute or two. I couldn't yell out any chants as they run a semi-tight ship there and say they might stop the recording if you cause a noticeable disturbance. Then they remove you from the show, and after traveling from VA I wasn't going to risk that. :)
The studio is much smaller than I'd expect. I know NBC's NY studios are notorious for doing this but I was still surprised at how small everything was, even Conan's desk. It does grow on you though and it doesn't hinder "the funny" as Conan calls it. I kept searchnig around for Joel but I didn't see his booth. I'm guessing it's in the back towards the left corner.
For diehard Conan fans you know that the lanky redhead named Bob (?) who is in many of the skits comes out before the recording and preps the crowd up. Then he intro's Conan to the audience and this was prolly the best part. The MW7 is playing a funky beat, Conan runs in with a spotlight on him and goes into the crowd aisle and starts to do one of his goofball dances. :laugh: This time he picked out some old guy who was going crazy, he stood up and they both started dancing. Then the old guy started doing some hippy dance move, then the music stopped abruptly, Conan pauses and says 'What the hell is that???' It seemed to be timed perfectly, very funny.
Overall it was a very memorable experience and if you plan on going to NYC this winter and have a couple of hours to spare I recommend reserving a couple of tickets. My only 2 complaints are they won't let groups of 5+ sit together, and the experience all seemed sorta rushed and impersonal. I know they have to pump these shows out every weekday but for big fans of the show it'll be a letdown after the credits have rolled and Conan just says 'You're a great audience thanks for coming, and we hope you come again!!' and then leaves.
Oh well, I will see it again so no biggie. :) Also hope to get some Letterman tiks but I'll have to plan ahead.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Heh, yea it was after Sheen's interview. He actually stayed throughout the entire show. You didn't miss much, another zany Conan skit that you'll either laugh or snicker at.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks