Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd Erwin submitted a new blog post

Godzilla: King of the Monsters UHD Review
Godzilla-King-of-the-Monsters-1024x576.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I take exception to two of your characterizations of Godzilla 1. SF was heavily damaged by Big G’s fight with mutos that wanted to destroy everything. Hell, even as G is heading to the ocean at the end, we see a caption of TV “Savior of the city.” Also, I certainly don’t consider the battles in the first movie a failure, they were quite entertaining and action packed. Yeah, there’s more action, but the first movie had all that exposition crap.

Yeah, sometimes I think the present day monster-makers could learn from the plots of the big monster movies of the 50’s. I’ve got the 3D version on order from Amazon UK.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Why not just buy from Best Buy? $29.99.
Well, after taxes and shipping the BB copy will cost me $12 more than the UK copy. But the UK copy won’t arrive until 10/25 at the earliest. Of course I could wait for a Black Friday deal which means even later.

I had assumed there’d be no US 3D release. Decisions, decisions. At $24 the UK release might just be a Black Friday release price.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well, after taxes and shipping the BB copy will cost me $12 more than the UK copy. But the UK copy won’t arrive until 10/25 at the earliest. Of course I could wait for a Black Friday deal which means even later.

I had assumed there’d be no US 3D release. Decisions, decisions. At $24 the UK release might just be a Black Friday release price.
Plus you get a digital copy with the domestic release that you could sell to offset the difference.

I support domestic 3D releases over imports when I can.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I bought from Amazon.ca for $29.99. Do they charge high prices for postage to the US? With the exchange rate this should cost $22.67 US.

Mike Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Borrowed my son's 4K copy and I pretty much agree with Todd's review. Wasn't great but wasn't terrible either. Having one of the last 3D capable LG OLEDs I try to pick any 3D movies that are out there. After getting tired of ordering what little 3D is available in the US and having it cancelled at the last minute I pretty much order everything from Amazon UK these days. I did try to order Godzilla from BB a while back, but their web site said they were sold out. Thought I'd try again after reading the comments above and this time my order went through. Using some reward points it will cost me about $5. Cancelled my UK order which should doom the entire process.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I think 2014's Godzilla was vastly superior to this film. I liked it okay, but the script was all over the place, the narrative throughput wonky and largely unconvincing, and despite some beautify shots and fun battles, pretty dull. I was surprised by how unimpressed I was with it as I can usually find faults very forgivable in movies like this. I need to watch it again and perhaps will like it more the 2nd time around, but I think I'd rather revisit the 2014 film at the moment.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I think 2014's Godzilla was vastly superior to this film. I liked it okay, but the script was all over the place, the narrative throughput wonky and largely unconvincing, and despite some beautify shots and fun battles, pretty dull. I was surprised by how unimpressed I was with it as I can usually find faults very forgivable in movies like this. I need to watch it again and perhaps will like it more the 2nd time around, but I think I'd rather revisit the 2014 film at the moment.
As I noted in the movie thread, I thought this movie was awful. The misanthropic ranting in it made me gag.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
As I noted in the movie thread, I thought this movie was awful. The misanthropic ranting in it made me gag.
I thought the misanthropic ranting had a point. Is the earth or sun causing problems? When I ponder all the problems that are occurring now, they are human-made. I don’t approve of the solution the villain was offering. Ah, another human-made problem.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I thought the misanthropic ranting had a point. Is the earth or sun causing problems? When I ponder all the problems that are occurring now, they are human-made. I don’t approve of the solution the villain was offering. Ah, another human-made problem.
Unlike many people, I do not view human beings as some kind of "plague" that's "infecting" the earth, and I not only don't approve of the woman scientist's "solution", I consider it heinous, despicable, and monstrous (the description the kid properly used).

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I take exception to two of your characterizations of Godzilla 1. SF was heavily damaged by Big G’s fight with mutos that wanted to destroy everything. Hell, even as G is heading to the ocean at the end, we see a caption of TV “Savior of the city.”

Mr. Kent saw that caption as well. Considering how the reviewers treated his movie, he wasn't too happy! (Segment starts roughly halfway into HISHE movie parody.)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Unlike many people, I do not view human beings as some kind of "plague" that's "infecting" the earth, and I not only don't approve of the woman scientist's "solution", I consider it heinous, despicable, and monstrous (the description the kid properly used).
The kid is right, but I also think the human species is responsible for most of the problems on the planet.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I bought from Amazon.ca for $29.99. Do they charge high prices for postage to the US? With the exchange rate this should cost $22.67 US.
Is the Canadian release a full featured release? All the extras?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
7.7 billion people currently inhabit the Earth. There are FAR too many of us already, and it's only going to get worse.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
7.7 billion people currently inhabit the Earth. There are FAR too many of us already, and it's only going to get worse.

Funny how fictional villains who see humans as a problem, and mass murder as the solution, never volunteer to be part of the solution. Not just the woman in "Godzilla: King of the Monsters", and associates … but also Ra's As Ghul, and Thanos.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Actually, people produce wealth. The world would be less wealthy if there were 90% fewer people. But if you want fewer people, there are only two ways to do it: Kill billions (which is what the monstrous woman scientist wanted in the movie. I assume you don't favor that.), or reduce the birth rate. Reduced birth rate is the result of greater wealth. So increase the wealth of everybody. Unfortunately, there are people demanding that we be poorer, and who favor policies that keep other countries from being wealthier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.