What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Glenn Ford - Missing too many films on dvd (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Richard--W

Thanks for clearing that up, ahollis. One can always rely on the members of HTF to know the minutia. I wish that Cinema Center / CBS / Paramount would release BROTHERHOOD OF THE BELL (1970) to home video. An absolutely brilliant film. The best film ever made for television. It is so far above the usual TV fare, dramatically intellectually and technically, it should have been released to theaters. Glenn Ford considered it his best work. He wanted it to be seen. He was so proud of it he disseminated tapes himself. I bought a VHS copy from his secretary about 20 years ago.

Has anyone here seen BROTHERHOOD OF THE BELL ?

I have never seen the film, but your interest in it has certainly gotten my attention. I look forward to seeing someday.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Originally Posted by ahollis

Cinema Center 100 Films produced the film which was a company owned by CBS to make films for broadcast. They ended up only producing 10 films from 1970 to 1973 under that production company. Cinema Center Films was the company owned by CBS to make theatrical films, which numbered 30 between 1968 and 1972, and were distributed by National General Films. The rights should lie with Paramount as most CBS owned properties do.
Warner Brothers apparently owns the Cinema Center 100 library. Warner syndicated SOLE SURVIVOR, the first Cinema Center 100 production, based on my copy from an Encore Mystery broadcast. I hope that one and THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE BELL will turn up in the Archive sometime soon. Here are the BROTHERHOOD end credits, which have a WB logo:

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I appreciate the link, but Please, don't anyone watch Brotherhood of the Bell on utube.
The quality is wretched with a capitol R.
So wretched it ruins the film.

Sole Survivor was another first-rate telefilm that was good enough to be released to theaters.
It has another thing in common with The Brotherhood of the Bell: they are both influenced by Rod Serling and The Twilight Zone, like so many telefilms of the period.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
A very good film . I recorded it off of The Encore Mystery channel many years back on vhs. Back when they used to play 70s tv movies all the time . I would love to see this make it out to dvd .

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Originally Posted by Richard--W

I appreciate the link, but Please, don't anyone watch Brotherhood of the Bell on utube.
The quality is wretched with a capitol R.
So wretched it ruins the film.
I agree. I just included the link to show the WB logo. I tried to watch a little of part 1, but the background noise was awful.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by Chas_Michael

Santee showed up on a BCI DVD comp in widescreen with a mediocre print.
Santee is out in Australia. I'm not sure of the quality though:
http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/800569

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
Originally posted by Beth Harrison:

"Santee is out in Australia.Im not sure of the quality though."

Just received my Australian copy of Santee and I am pretty pleased with it.
It is certainly superior to the version I saw at the cinema in 1973!

The problem is that Santee was an early attempt to film a feature on Videotape.
The cinema release was incredibly murky and I remember thinking at the
time "if this is the future God help us!"

The Lionsgate DVD is far better and the location shots (which comprise the
bulk of the film) are very nice indeed.On the nightime scenes and the darker
interior shots the shortcomings of the video process are painfully obvious.

Also the film is far more violent than I recall. Really for Glenn Ford die-hard fans
only;film is a far cry from his great fifties westerns.Nice chemistry between Ford
and Dana Wynter pity they did not team up fifteen years earlier.

A recommended source for Aussie DVDs is www.atlanticdvd.com.au I find they
offer a first rate service.Their parcels arrive incredibly fast;to the UK at any rate.
A recent parcel took four days to arrive and was sent during the volcanic ash crisis!
Out of stock items seem to take a long time to resurface in Australia though;so some
degree of patience is required.Atlantic do not stock the Bounty releases at this time.

The Australian release of Man Without a Star is highly recommended.
A Roger Corman rarity Gunslinger is also available in Australia.
Umbrella Entertainment have e-mailed me to say they have several Westerns
lined up in the future.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'd also like to see WB release that old TCM staple, THE GAZEBO, co-starring Debbie Reynolds. Funny stuff, not unlike Hitchcock's TROUBLE WITH HARRY. An Archive release, if nothing else.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
How many of Glenn Ford's films not on DVD were atleast released on VHS?

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Good news being Human Desire, that Fritz Lang rarity, is being released as part of Sony's Film Noir II collection. It'll be a fine addition to the collection -- now if we could just get the right people to release Convicted, Secret of Convict Lake and the previously mentioned Ransom!...

Sundance1944

Auditioning
Real Name
Connie Krizner
Hey, I remember this movie very well. Didn't know tf was made for TV. I have been looking for a copy for a long time. Great, great movie. Wish I had it in my collection. If you ever find it on VHS or DVD, please post. Glenn Ford is one of my very favorite actors. Understated, great in everything I have ever seen. Sundance 1944

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks