What's new

Glenn Ford - Missing too many films on dvd (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
On dvd Glenn Ford is quite under appreciated, apparently. I was surprised at how many films out of the more than 100 he made that are absent from the home video market. I noticed that the Warner Archives has The Fastest Gun out and am wondering what might be out there in other Regions. Hope the studios will release more! I have never failed to be entertained by any movie he has starred in. Anyone want to make a list? Added The Big Heat, forgot I had it in the Sony Film Noir Classics Vol.1 set.

These are what I have so far:

Experiment In Terror
3:10 To Yuma
Lust For Gold
The Man From Colorado
Jubal
The Violent Men
Blackboard Jungle
The Desperadoes
The Teahouse Of The August Moon
Plunder Of The Sun
Cimarron
Pocketful Of Miracles
The Courtship Of Eddie's Father
Midway
Gilda
Superman
The Big Heat
The Man From The Alamo

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm very surprised that Love Is A Ball (All This And Money Too), a charming and amusing comedy he made with Hope Lange and Charles Boyer has never been out on DVD.

Charles H

Screenwriter
LOVES OF CARMEN, AFFAIR IN TRINIDAD, TEXAS, THE SACKETTS, SO ENDS OUR NIGHT are available, and the Archive has THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE, THE SHEEPMAN, THE ROUNDERS, and THE MONEY TRAP.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm surprised that the original version of "Ransom" has never seen the light of day. I have a DVD-R copy that I recorded from TCM.

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Glenn Ford is always a joy to watch on film...I just got a copy of Day of the Evil Gun off a TCM broadcast recently...one of my favorite Ford pics.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Don't forget Heaven With a Gun in which Ford plays a preacher who used to be a gunfighter but has put his guns away -- until he has to pull them out again, of course.

A restored print of Jubal will screen at the upcoming TCM Classic Film Festival. Ernest Borgnine will introduce.

http://www.tcm.com/festival/#/films/jubal

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Brent Avery

On dvd Glenn Ford is quite under appreciated, apparently. I was surprised at how many films out of the more than 100 he made that are absent from the home video market. I noticed that the Warner Archives has The Fastest Gun out and am wondering what might be out there in other Regions. Hope the studios will release more! I have never failed to be entertained by any movie he has starred in. Anyone want to make a list?

These are what I have so far:

Experiment In Terror
3:10 To Yuma
Lust For Gold
The Man From Colorado
Jubal
The Violent Men
Blackboard Jungle
The Desperadoes
The Teahouse Of The August Moon
Plunder Of The Sun
Cimarron
Pocketful Of Miracles
The Courtship Of Eddie's Father
Midway
Gilda
Superman
I'd suggest adding 'The Big Heat', one of Ford's best (and one of Fritz Lang's best). 'The Big Heat' used to be a stand-alone release; however, I believe it is now available in Vol. 1 of the Noir collection Columbia released last year.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Dave B Ferris

I'd suggest adding 'The Big Heat', one of Ford's best (and one of Fritz Lang's best). 'The Big Heat' used to be a stand-alone release; however, I believe it is now available in Vol. 1 of the Noir collection Columbia released last year.

That's true, I have both releases of "The Big Heat". I didn't really want it a second time, but that film noir boxset had some titles I wanted to have in my collection.

Crawdaddy

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

That's true, I have both releases of "The Big Heat". I didn't really want it a second time, but that film noir boxset had some titles I wanted to have in my collection.

Crawdaddy
Hi Crawdaddy,

Some folks might prefer the stand-alone release for various reasons (easier to access, perhaps; or full cover art, possibly), but I think the version in the boxset includes a commentary, whereas the stand-alone version was bare-bones. Also, I was thinking the stand-alone version might now be OOP, since the boxset was released more recently.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I am wondering what happened to Torpedo Run with Glenn Ford and Ernest Borgnine?

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by kingfish

I am wondering what happened to Torpedo Run with Glenn Ford and Ernest Borgnine?
It's an MGM film owned by WHV, so hopefully it will appear on Warner Archive.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Thank you for adding more titles that are available - being in Canada the Warner Archive collections are a bit pricey and not easy to get at the moment. I hope they ship here one day. There are a good number of films I would purchase.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by kingfish ">[/url]

[/QUOTE]Not to be confused with TORNADO RUN...

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Seeing as the OP asked about other regions, there are a few titles available from Spain:
Torpedo Run (just released by WB)
Undercover Man (from Sony)
Day of the Evil Gun (from WB and also out in France - probably the same non-anamorphic transfer)

and in the US no one mentioned Appointment in Honduras from VCI.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I was looking through some of the Westerns in my collection and found Classic Western Round-up Vol.2 ( Universal ) which has four westerns, among them The Man From The Alamo, directed by Budd Boetticher. It was pretty good one at that. I will add it to the list.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I wish Universal -- I could be wrong but I think it was Universal -- would release BROTHERHOOD OF THE BELL (1970) to home video. An absolutely brilliant film. The best film ever made for television. It was so good it should have been released to theaters. Glenn Ford considered it his best work. He wanted it to be seen. I bought a VHS copy from his secretary almost 20 years ago. He was so proud of it he was disseminating tapes himself.

Does anyone here remember BROTHERHOOD OF THE BELL ?

The Disney Movie Club released SMITH! (1969), co-starring Chief Dan George with Ford, as one of their Exclusives. The title does not sound promising but the film was serious and quite good, if memory serves. I'll probably pick it up in my next go-round.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Richard--W

I wish Universal -- I could be wrong but I think it was Universal -- would release BROTHERHOOD OF THE BELL (1970) to home video. An absolutely brilliant film. The best film ever made for television. It was so good it should have been released to theaters. Glenn Ford considered it his best work. He wanted it to be seen. I bought a VHS copy from his secretary almost 20 years ago. He was so proud of it he was disseminating tapes himself.

Does anyone here remember BROTHERHOOD OF THE BELL ?

Cinema Center 100 Films produced the film which was a company owned by CBS to make films for broadcast. They ended up only producing 10 films from 1970 to 1973 under that production company. Cinema Center Films was the company owned by CBS to make theatrical films, which numbered 30 between 1968 and 1972, and were distributed by National General Films. The rights should lie with Paramount as most CBS owned properties do.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Thanks for clearing that up, ahollis. One can always rely on the members of HTF to know the minutia. I wish that Cinema Center / CBS / Paramount would release BROTHERHOOD OF THE BELL (1970) to home video. An absolutely brilliant film. The best film ever made for television. It is so far above the usual TV fare, dramatically intellectually and technically, it should have been released to theaters. Glenn Ford considered it his best work. He wanted it to be seen. He was so proud of it he disseminated tapes himself. I bought a VHS copy from his secretary about 20 years ago.

Has anyone here seen BROTHERHOOD OF THE BELL ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks