What's new

Gilmore Girls - 5/18/04 - Raincoats and Recipes (1 Viewer)

I guess I'm in the minority that has no problem with teenagers engaging in sexual activities. I find it quite normal and expected. There are a lot of hormones exploding around that age. Personally, I was always confused how a girl like Rory could have 2 long-term relationships and STILL be a virgin. THAT is not typical.

Although, I'm not fond with how they rushed the whole event. For most women, their first time isn't usually something very pleasant (I'm referring to the initial discomfort associated with intercourse). I'm not so certain she would've been so non-chalant about the whole event with her mother.

That aside, I did enjoy the Luke-Lorelai moments but even then I realize, they're an only-on-TV couple. Honestly, those two characters have nothing in common. Lorelai is a bit of a snob (although she fails to see it in her own mind) and quite self-centered; Luke is a grouchy, workaholic hermit. As much fun as it is to see them finally together, I realize it's a bit of a fantasy union.

Am I the only one who gets a kick out of having Emily on the show? She always brightens up the show for me. The show is sometimes so sweet that it needs a character like Emily to shake the foundation a bit. Paris used to be like that in the past, but they softened her up too much this season.

Overall, this season was fun and I'm looking forward to the next.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

As much as I believe that the media (not just Hollywood) does indeed glorify sex and promiscuity. I won't fault the G.G.s here. As others have pointed out, Rory is 19, hardly considered a young age to lose one's virginity these days (frankly I'm surprised Rory even knew how to do it. She seems like never a sexual thought has ever crossed her mind)

I take more offense to shows that glorify Promiscuity, and high school age sex. For example, Take Beverly Hills 90210. From the pilot episode, Kelly Taylor already had at least a couple of sexual partnes under her belt. And most of the other charaters lost their virginiy by graduation as well.
Take shows like Friends and Seinfeld where characters regularly had different partners and occaisionally ended up in bed with someone they hardly knew. Take MTV who plays videos of scantilly clad pop tarts aimed at the teen demographic, next thing you know, kids in middle school are showing up to class wearing belly shirts and other trampy apparel. That's the kind of stuff we should be watching out for. Yet, if a character lights up a cigarette in a show it's "You're Smoking?!!!!"

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I thought it was Richard.
:rolleyes

Why would she hang up on anyone else but Lindsay?

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Obviously it wasn't Richard because it was a female's voice. I don't think it was Emily because the voice sounded young and smooth. So it was either Lane or Lindsay. I thought it was Lane because it sounded like her. Rory was making a call to her best friend to talk about what had happened but wasn't able to go through with it because of her emotions.

~T

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

That certainly is possible, but for me the dramatics of the scene don't support it. So how about we take a vote? Who thinks it was Lane and who thinks it was Lindsay?

And Emily is NOT an option!

EDIT: I've played it multiple times and to me it sounds like Lindsay. The voices are similar, but the second hello is the most telling.

Kevin Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Eckhardt
I'm pretty sure it was Lindsay. I can't remember exactly what her voice sounds like, but it didn't sound like Lane to me. Rory called Dean to reconcile things or reaffirm that Dean and Lindsay were over or ??? and then when Lindsay answered it sunk in that what Lorelai had said was true: she was the other woman.

Kevin Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Eckhardt

If I'm remembering this correctly I think Lorelai was saying something like "maybe you (or we?) should go down to Tijuana, get drunk, and get laid". It was a tongue-in-cheek response and definitely not an actual suggestion.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I concur. It certainly has presented Lorelai's situation as an exception to the rule and Lorelai has stated that on several occasions, as if the writers anticipated the misinterpretation of the show's premise.

James Gumbart

Stunt Coordinator
First of all, it's pretty clear it was Lindsay.

Second, I don't think Rory's actions were out of character at all. I've become increasing frustrated with the emotional immaturity of her character and it sank in even more when she said "He's MY Dean!" etc. She's like a five year old. :rolleyes

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
If Rory made the call to Dean, wouldn't it have been to his cell phone?

Maybe someone who still has the episode can turn on the closed captions to see who it really was?

~T

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Probably, which is why it was a shock that Lindsey answered. If Dean had the cell phone on him when he left Rory, and Lindsey answers it, that means he ran right home to his wife, making Lorelai's point all the more poignant.

Calling Lane just doesn't have the samme impact as Lindsey, and would make for a pretty pathetic finale.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I'll give you that. The show would not have received a Family Television Award if it were unquestionably "built around a positive aspect of teen sex." I am curious what more conservative family groups think of the show, especially after recent developments.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
No, Emily could work - I had it as Rory was calling Emily to say she would take her up on that trip to Europe, to get away from Lorelei whom she was very angry at. Then she realized running away wouldn't do her any good.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Yeah, if you only look at that one aspect of the show, then it surely wouldn't be family friendly. Just like if you only look at Rory having sex and ignore all that they will do with it would make it seem much worse than it is. It's not the sex, it's how it's handled--and Rory's breakdown immediately punctuated the fact that this isn't a good thing.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
It did not sound like Emily. I "vote" for Lindsay/Lindsey because it also makes the most sense dramatically.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Refresh my memory...when was that offer made?

And it was definitely not Emily on the phone! The motivation is plausible but that doesn't mean that voice sounded remotely like a 50+ year old woman's!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks