What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Ghostbusters (2016) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Weekend prediction from boxofficeguru;

''
THIS WEEKEND Sony rolls out its reboot of Ghostbusters hoping to reinvigorate a franchise that brought in plenty of cash in the 1980s. Headlined by Melissa McCarthy and Kristin Wiig and helmed by their Bridesmaids director Paul Feig, the PG-13 sci-fi action comedy arrives as a big-budget summer tentpole meant to draw in a broad audience - here and around the planet.

Certainly much has been written about the many haters of the film who have expressed their opinions over many months. Some are sure to avoid the film because of the hate, or just from hearing about the negativity. However, there are also others who hate the hate and plan to fully support the film with their dollars so that will neutralize some of the impact. Plus some are just plain curious to see what the fuss is all about. At the end of the day, each person will decide for him or herself what they think and then spread whatever feelings they have so those first public shows will be important.

Reviews have been generally positive with the four leads getting most of the praise. McCarthy has consistently been one of the most bankable comedy stars of the past few years so her fan base should show up. Jumping out of her R-rated comfort zone will prove to be a test, though. Given the runaway success of Bridesmaids five years ago, Wiig has not been in the number of lead roles one would expect. Her mainstream presence here will help draw in business.

The studio has been pushing the marketing for some time now and awareness is high. If young women look at this to be a major summer movie for them, then they will really swell the grosses. Competition is not too bad. None of the other major studios programmed a film against it this weekend and aside from the toon smash The Secret Life of Pets, all holdovers look to take in $12M or less. Opening in more than 3,900 theaters, Ghostbusters may debut to about $47M

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Had to laugh at this review;

The Ghostbusters reboot is a success and if you're one of the thousands that don't like that, I suggest having a wash, leaving your house and getting some fresh air and a dose of perspective.

Full Review… | July 14, 2016
user.none.tmb.jpg

Jamie East
The Sun (UK)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Had to laugh at this review;

The Ghostbusters reboot is a success and if you're one of the thousands that don't like that, I suggest having a wash, leaving your house and getting some fresh air and a dose of perspective.

Full Review… | July 14, 2016
user.none.tmb.jpg

Jamie East
The Sun (UK)

I find it telling that the NY Post had Sara Stewart review the movie as opposed to Lou Lumenick or Kyle Smith. Naturally she gave it a pretty glowing review (and she's the one who complained recently that "Sixteen Candles" is now misogynistic and racist). I don't want to piss on the parade here, but I can't help thinking that this movie is being pretty handicapped in the review department. The reviews I trust have pretty much been "meh" at best.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
And so much like trying to stay away from a new Star Wars flick or not watching a new season of Doctor Who, I gave into the inevitable and saw G16 last night. However I did my level best to go in with an open mind, to watch with a critical eye and put away any prejudices I might have. The end result?

Yeah, it was still pretty fucking terrible.

Okay, Thor was actually pretty funny. Hands down he was the best thing in the movie. But beyond that, there was zero chemistry to the leads (and god, I hated the sassy shouty walking stereotype so, so much), the jokes were juvenile and broad and all landed with a thud. The special effects were the finest that the Playstation 2 had to offer. The plot felt more like they were doing a ghostbusters parody, a Saturday Night Live skit, than an actual movie.

And yes - since the studio is pushing this agenda, I’ll bring up the elephant in the room - the movie pretty blatantly hates men. If you are a man in this movie, either you are an idiots, you are incompetent or you are evil. The nut shot blasting the Big Ghost pretty much sums up the movies attitude.

I gave it a fair shake, and the movie came up wanting. Kids might like it, but for the adults - there is not a thing here improves on the original movie. Save your money and watch it on netfix.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
$3.4 million for Thursday night previews. Comparable with Warcraft, Independence Day: Resurgence, Pacific Rim, and San Andreas. (from boxofficemojo.com)

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just got back from seeing it in IMAX 3D. Thought it was a lot of fun. Not great by any means but far from terrible. It had some good laughs, especially Chris Hemsworth. Kids in the audience seemed to love it and the crowd applauded at the end.

And I'll really disagree with Tony as I thought the effects were excellent. Especially in 3D with tons of depth and lots of Pop out. The ghost effects and the proton beams shot out of the frame and screen. Really cool.

That being said the original Ghostbusters was better in almost every way. Funnier, better story, better humor etc.

But still a fun two hours at the movies if you go in with the right expectations.

⭐⭐⭐️ out of ⭐⭐⭐⭐️ for me.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Oooff. Was it confirmed if it will get a China release?
Why the oof? That's a solid take and Deadline even says so. If it makes less than $40 million then an oof is warranted. I think it will make $45-50 million.

Plus I think word of mouth will be good based on reviews and the crowd I saw it with this morning so the prospects are encouraging.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Oooff. Was it confirmed if it will get a China release?
As of a few days ago, Sony has not submitted it to China for review yet. So nothing confirmed yet so there's still a chance but after seeing it I don't think so.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Also there was a credit at the end stating how the IMAX 3D version was specifically enhanced for IMAX. It showed.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I thought it had some decent laughs and was better than it looked based on the trailers. Kristen Wiig was the highlight of the four main characters and Chris Hemsworth pulled in the best laughs for me and the crowd I saw it with. Some of the cameos were fun. Overall, this movie was about middle of the road for the summer. Not anything to rush out and see but not anything near as bad as people have been saying for the last year.

Maybe it was just an anomaly but the crowd I saw it with quite large for a Friday morning and it had a wide varieties of ages so I think this movie will do pretty well.

And since everything is a Marvel franchise today, there's a set up for the sequel after the credits.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Why the oof? That's a solid take and Deadline even says so. If it makes less than $40 million then an oof is warranted. I think it will make $45-50 million.

Plus I think word of mouth will be good based on reviews and the crowd I saw it with this morning so the prospects are encouraging.

Seemed a little low for a tentpole, especially when compared to other movies that struggled financially.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I saw it last night and found it kind of frustrating. It has the same basic problem that a lot of big tentpoles have nowadays. It's so desperate and in a hurry to entertain that it never really establishes a rhythm, which is so crucial to good comedy. And the movie has no idea how to set up its major set pieces; they just sort of happen without any real buildup. I don't know if that's the fault of the director, the editors, or if it was just the studio pulling the movie in dozens of directions at once (most likely). The whole movie feels second-guessed.

That said, the cast is terrific (especially Kate McKinnon), and they actually make it worth seeing.

I guess kind of a C+ for me. The cast makes what could have been a train wreck into something fairly watchable.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Is that suppose to be a good thing?

Depends :)

From BoxOfficeMojo:
FRIDAY AM UPDATE:
Sony's Ghostbusters reboot brought in an estimated $3.4 million from Thursday night previews. Green Lantern also kicked off its Thursday with $3.4 million before opening with $53.1 million, X-Men: First Class started with $3.37 million on Thursday and opened with $55 million and The Great Gatsby brought in $3.25 million and opened with $50 million.

For director Paul Feig and star Melissa McCarthy that's an improvement over the last two R-rated collaborations, which saw Spy bring in $1.6 million on Thursday followed by a $29 million opening and The Heat, which brought in $1 million on Thursday and opened with $39.7 million.

From a PG-13 perspective, a few other films that had similar Thursday performances include Pacific Rim ($3.6m Thursday, $37.2m opening), Independence Day: Resurgence ($4m/$41m), Warcraft ($3.1m/$24.1m) and San Andreas ($3.1m/$54.5m). Given the wide variety of comparisons it's tough to gain much insight, though an opening over $40 million still seems likely.

We'll be back tomorrow with Friday estimates, which should present a clearer picture. You can read our weekend preview below.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QuirkyProtection
Recent bookmarks