What's new

Ghostbusters (2016) (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Some of the cameos were fun.

I'd have to go the other way. I thought the cameos (and leaning on the Nostalgia button in other ways) were really distracting and kept taking me out of the moment. Reminding me of a much better movie I could be watching is never a good idea.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Agreed about the cameos being distracting even though I liked the film. The only one that worked well was Weavers I thought. Murray was longer than I thought he would be but Ackroyds was terrible - almost like fan-fiction

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I didn't like or dislike the cameos. Except for Ramis's. [emoji13] that made me laugh.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Agreed about the cameos being distracting even though I liked the film. The only one that worked well was Weavers I thought. Murray was longer than I thought he would be but Ackroyds was terrible - almost like fan-fiction
The one I really liked was
Ernie Hudson's and since it was weird, the Rick Moranis bust in the backgound gave me a chuckle. The Aykroyd and Weaver ones weren't good or bad to me but the Murray one was surprisingly unfunny.

Last edited:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The one I really liked was
Ernie Hudson's and since it was weird, the Rick Moranis bust in the backgound gave me a chuckle. The Aykroyd and Weaver ones weren't good or bad to me but the Murray one was surprisingly unfunny.

Well since Sony basically had to threaten to sue Murray to get him to appear, it doesn't surprise me.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Just saw the movie this afternoon. I was puzzled by the story. Why didn't they have the new cast play the next generation?
These women have been hysterically funny in other situations not here. Here we have a pleasant little summer movie that is easily forgettable with not one line I can remember. I did not think it was rotten, but would not really recommend it to anyone.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Definitely the way to see it. And it's only in IMAX 3D till Friday.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Definitely the way to see it. And it's only in IMAX 3D till Friday.

Earlier in some locations, because Star Trek is showing at marathon screenings in some IMAX theaters on Wednesday, and then opening on Thursday - so Tuesday will be the last day for a number of locations.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I liked it mostly. Fun. Cameos were lame but no issue with the leads. McKinnon was the best and Patty was not nearly as cringeworthy as the trailer led me to believe.

Fire the trailer editor. :)

This is going to make an awesome 4K disk, sad it won't be 4K 3D :(

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
$46 million dollars should be a pretty good opening if you're spending a sane amount of money on a movie. Of course, things like Lord Of The Rings (where they built a world) or Titanic (where they had to manufacture nearly everything onscreen and they built 90% of a ship!) or an Avengers movie (where you're paying the cast more than most countries' GNP) are expensive but what the hell could have made Ghostbusters cost $150 million dollars?

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
$46 million dollars should be a pretty good opening if you're spending a sane amount of money on a movie. Of course, things like Lord Of The Rings (where they built a world) or Titanic (where they had to manufacture nearly everything onscreen and they built 90% of a ship!) or an Avengers movie (where you're paying the cast more than most countries' GNP) are expensive but what the hell could have made Ghostbusters cost $150 million dollars?
I would assume Salaries, visual effects, location shooting.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I would assume Salaries, visual effects, location shooting.
That must be it but I can't believe a studio thought that this movie would generate the $300 or so million needed to turn a profit. It's one thing when you have an established franchise like Star Wars or Marvel or even Pixar and you can count on a fortune being generated but to think that a movie where the franchise is beginning anew is going to become one of the top 50 or 75 biggest grossing movies ever made seems like an extremely foolish gamble. The blame should not be on the movie, it should be on the people who OKed a budget that was too big.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
servergmr
Recent bookmarks