Ghostbusters (2016)

Greg.K

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
The gender change did not upset me but...and this is the issue...it upset fans of the original version and I believe you could see that coming a mile away. I'm not a giant Ghostbusters fan so I don't really have a dog in that fight. To me they hired a group of fairly well known and talented comic actors to do the remake but we do know that according to studio memos they wanted this version to be a girl's night out film. Hence the gender flop.
I don't really see it as "gender change" though. That would be the case if it used the same characters with swapped genders, ala Starbuck in BSG, but these are all new characters who are written for and played by women. It's just ridiculous. I have some issues with this movie but the gender of the Ghostbusters doesn't even rate a mild criticism.

Tony J Case

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Having seen the film, I can say with 100% certainty that the sexuality of McKinnon's character was not addressed in the film.
Which just baffles me. They gender flip because they claim they want to be inclusive and give women their own movie. Oh, but those filthy gays? Naw, they can go f' themselves. That's a line too far.

If sony had the stones to back up their walk, then they would have let Fieg keep that facet of the character. Hell, it would have kept the movie from being a total carbon copy of the original.

Sorry Will. I'm so used to Tony trashing films he hasn't seen ( and even ones he's liked) that I must have thought you were doing the same. My apologies if you didn't. [emoji13]
To be fair - it was just once, and I wasn't wrong. If anything, I think less of that bloated piece of crap than I did before now that I've had to suffer through it.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Which just baffles me. They gender flip because they claim they want to be inclusive and give women their own movie. Oh, but those filthy gays? Naw, they can go f' themselves. That's a line too far.

If sony had the stones to back up their walk, then they would have let Fieg keep that facet of the character. Hell, it would have kept the movie from being a total carbon copy of the original.

To be fair - it was just once, and I wasn't wrong. If anything, I think less of that bloated piece of crap than I did before now that I've had to suffer through it.
Are you really upset because a character wasn't gay or was that sarcasm?

Tony J Case

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Naw, not really upset - or at least not any more than I already am at this movie. I was just saying that if Sony was really out to subvert the all-male paradigm instead of simply pushing a gimmick to justify their shitty remake, they really could have gone for the brass ring.

Reggie W

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I don't really see it as "gender change" though. That would be the case if it used the same characters with swapped genders, ala Starbuck in BSG, but these are all new characters who are written for and played by women. It's just ridiculous. I have some issues with this movie but the gender of the Ghostbusters doesn't even rate a mild criticism.
I also don't care about the gender flop (or the movie, just not my thing) but they changed the gender of the 4 Ghostbusters from 4 guys to 4 women (made sure to keep one of them African American) and changed the receptionist from a female to a male. They of course made some of the jokes gender specific to women but I mean that was a pretty open and obvious gender flop. I mean there is no question all they did is take Ghostbusters and make it the lady Ghostbusters version.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Finally got around to watching this last night after recently picking up the blu-ray for $4, which I figured was a safe price. I was pleasantly surprised. Actually not bad if you're in the mood for a silly FX comedy. I thought all the SNL actors would annoy me, but it wasn't really an issue.

Also loved how many of the FX overlapped the black bars on the top/bottom of the 2.40 screen. Now I probably have to track this down in 3D, since based on the flat viewing it is apparent there were a number of shots that probably are amazing in 3D.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
Finally got around to watching this last night after recently picking up the blu-ray for $4, which I figured was a safe price. I was pleasantly surprised. Actually not bad if you're in the mood for a silly FX comedy. I thought all the SNL actors would annoy me, but it wasn't really an issue.

Also loved how many of the FX overlapped the black bars on the top/bottom of the 2.40 screen. Now I probably have to track this down in 3D, since based on the flat viewing it is apparent there were a number of shots that probably are amazing in 3D.
Absolutely amazing in 3D. One of the best 3D discs out there. Get it.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
Ah, the very-short-lived glory days when Sony put BD, 3D and 4K in the same package!

Agree on the 3D quality of "GB2016" - it's a blast. As much as I love 4K, I opt for the 3D when I watch that film...
Ditto. I do that for almost all the 3D films I have with UHD duplicates.

Reactions: Johnny Angell

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I saw Ghostbusters III?! about a year ago (on Blu-ray), and thought it was a decent & amusing film. Obviously, the first Ghostbusters (1984) can't be topped, but this was an entertaining movie that I would like to see again at some point. I thought the story was funny, and the effects were solid as well

I'm a huge fan of Kate McKinnon & feel she's a comedic genius - one of the funniest lines in the film was made by McKinnon regarding a "bodily function"noise from an audio-tape. I laughed quite hard at that line, since it was so unexpected ;)

Last edited:

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
I saw Ghostbusters III?! about a year ago (on Blu-ray), and thought it was a decent & amusing film. Obviously, the first Ghostbusters (1984) can't be topped, but this was an entertaining movie that I would like to see again at some point.
This isn't Ghostbusters III. For that, you should look to the 2009 video game on PS3/XBox 360 or the IDW comic book series which carry on from where the second film left off.

The 2016 film is a badly executed reboot that has done much harm to the prospect of a true sequel ever being made. If Ghostbusters were an employee instead of a film franchise, it would be suing Sony for constructive dismissal.

Having said that, I do still enjoy the 2016 film. It just falls far short of what I hoped it would be.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
Reactions: English Invader

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member